Mouthpiece in movie "From Here to Eternity"

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Tony R, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Tony R

Tony R New Friend

Feb 9, 2011
    Hi,
    This is the first time that I have posted and I'm trying to find out what type of mouthpiece Montgomery Clift uses in the movie "From Here To Eternity" and can you still buy them. I have been unable to find this out.
    I recently commissioned a sculpture of Clift's character "Prewitt' from that movie and I would like to buy the same looking mouthpiece he uses from the film if possible.

Thank you

Tony

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Wasn't it a bugle that Montgomery Cliff used in the movie From Here to Eternity rather than either a trumpet or cornet? I still doubt if he actually played any ... vis the sound was dubbed.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  4. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    It might not have been a real mouthpiece.
    I think it was in a tv interview with Michael Parkinson that Jimmy Stewart, when filming the 'Glenn Miller Story', said he had a special mouthpiece made without a hole in it to prevent him from playing the trombone.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The late USAF Major General James Stewart aka Jimmy Stewart, the actor, told me this directly to my face ... well almost ... the director had it made for him whereas Jimmy had once upon a time actually played trombone. I was once upon a time a frequent guest in their PA home and a fine art oil painting classmate of his wife Gloria in addition to selling Jimmy art supplies he bought for her. Too, I often said hello to him in passing along the halls of the Pentagon. The Jimmy Stewart museum is now in financial trouble. It is no longer in his father's old hardware store as it was originally. I liked him better in Strategic Air Command and The Greatest Show On Earth.

6. Tony R

Tony R New Friend

Feb 9, 2011
    Hi,
    Thanks for the replies, someone told me the other day that the mouthpiece is an old Selmer mouthpiece as he had a good look at it in one scene in the movie that shows Clift giving the mouthpiece to his girlfriend in the movie.
    I will try and chase that up.
    Thanks again.
    Tony

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Didn't Harry do the dubbing in that movie?

8. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Wasn't it the late Manny Klein?

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Methinks that during WWII that it is more likely to have been manufactured by Conn while possibly to a Selmer spec. Selmer was/is a French Company. Today, in USA it is the Conn-Selmer Co., a subsidiary of Steinway Music Group, Inc.

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    There's a great player!

Manny Klein and Chuck Peterson both wrote letters of recommendation for me to get into the US NAVY band at Annapolis!