Mouthpiece intensifiers, is this a "gimmicky" kind

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Spawn, Jan 6, 2004.

1. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi there,

Kanstul usually send out there horns with a fairly middle of the road mp which will probably be OK until you're up and running. My Chicago came with a CG3 and the best double gig bag you've ever seen. Good luck.

Regards

Trevor

PS It may be worth asking Priscilla what she is sending.

2. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    Hi Spawn,
    From my experience with them I will say that mp intensifiers definitely DO make a difference and it's not necessarily a good one. My last teacher is still a BIG believer in these things, but even he will tell you that it took a lot of experimentation to get the combination he was looking for. He finally had a jewler make several of his own design and they work great for his horn/mp(Bach Strad & Bach 1 1/2C, 3C both pieces bored out to a #24 throat) and playing style. I tried the same combination and although it worked a lot better than the standard Bach MP I eventually settled on a GR mouthpiece from Bruce Lee and haven't looked back since then; the difference in a properly designed mp such as GR is amazing! Anyway, I'm echoing other statements when I say that you should definitely talk to Mr. Lee; he's not only knowledgeable, he's got integrity that is admirable and second to none.

Have a Great Day!
    Dan

3. Spawn

Spawn Pianissimo User

Dec 21, 2003
    The Chicago 1001 normally comes with a CG3 (Claude Gordon). However, Priscilla is also going to let me try a CG7.

Thanks for the info/advice. I need to start playing and try both of these mouthpieces first. Then, after awhile, I will be in a better position to discuss with Mr. Lee what I need.

Thanks again.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Good move, Spawn. No point in getting involved in a mouthpiece safari before you know whether or not you NEED a desk drawer full of brass bits! Give it a year or two.

5. Spawn

Spawn Pianissimo User

Dec 21, 2003
    I have a tendency of thinking too far in advance.

I spoke with Priscilla today and got some slide grease and valve oil (Zaja). I don't even have the horns yet!

I also got some trumpet books off EBAY, so I could go over the basics and plan out my practice time.

Like I said, forward thinking. :wink: