Mouthpiece jargon

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by latinjazzcat, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. latinjazzcat

    latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

    Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    It was suggested to me today that I research and experiment with some mouthpieces. My front lip seems to protrude somewhat, and my director (also a trumpet player) feels that it would be valuable to experiment with a piece with a deeper cup and maybe a wider rim, as it might help me obtain my desired tone a little easier (sometimes my tone seems to fuzz out a little, but the fact that I CAN play with a good tone most of the time makes me thinnk it's not entirely me.) Obviously, I agree that it would be good to do this, or I wouldn't be asking the next question, lol....He suggested checking into some Schilke or Yamaha pieces as he thought they made some pieces with rims and cups that I might find easier to work with. However, when reading the specs. for their pieces, I instantly become confused and almost spontaneously combusted. So anyone have any suggestions for any pieces to experiment with? I'm open to any auggestions (of any brand). Right now I'm playing on a Curry 3C. Thanks..
  2. camelbrass

    camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

    Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE

    Have a look at GR's site. They have a great technical explanantion about the effect of lip room on mouthpieces. While you're there send Brian or Gary an e-mail (it may be worth filling in their questionnaire) detailing your concern. Even if you don't settle on a GR I found their input invaluable.


  3. bugler16

    bugler16 Pianissimo User

    Dec 14, 2003
    If you are looking for a deeper cup try the Curry 3BC. Especially if you like the Curry mouthpiece that you are playing on now. I would assume that it also comes in at least one bigger rim size. Get it from and you will have a trial period (10 days I think) in which you can send it back.
  4. dcstep

    dcstep Mezzo Piano User

    Nov 27, 2003
  5. latinjazzcat

    latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

    Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    I'm not trying to showcase my ignorance, I can anyone explain the difference between the Curry B and BC models?
  6. DrunkIQ

    DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

    Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    The schilke numbering system makes more sense than most one you understand it.... afer this you will understand how vauge other manufactures naming schemes are in comparison

    Ok - here is the basic mouthpiece


    The Schilke system is based on 2 numbers and 2 letters....

    like this - 13a4a

    here is how it works"

    The first number refers to the cup diameter; smaller numbers have smallest diameters. Most trumpet and cornet mouthpieces have a cup diameter that falls between .600 inch and .725 inch. Nos. 1 to 25 in the Schilke system represent sections of .005 inches each between these two measurements.

    The first letter refers to the cup volume.

    A = Small cup
    B= Medium Small
    C = Standard (medium size)
    D = Medium Large
    E = Large

    The second (last) number refers to the rim contour.

    1 = Roundest
    2 = Semi-Round
    3 = Standard
    4 = Semi-Flat
    5 = Only Slightly Round (flatest they make)

    The second (last) letter refers to the backbore.

    A = Tight
    B = Straight
    C = Standard
    D = Slightly Curved Out
    E = Large (most open backbore)

    go here to see a rough drawing of these contours to help you better understand the differences:

    So now you should know what a 15b4b is.

    but you will notice that all thier mouthpices do not have 2 letters and 2 numbers.

    If you do not see a letter or number then it is using the "standard" for the part

    for instance the follwing would be true:

    15 = 15c3c

    15a4 = 15a4c

    13a4 = 13a4c

    15b = 15b3c

    got it?

    most of this info and more can be found here: Mouthpieces.html


    Schilke makes a high quality mouthpiece and they can be bought in most places for a good price.

    now go read the descrptions for some of the other manufactures and tell me the difference between two model besides the diameter....

  7. bugler16

    bugler16 Pianissimo User

    Dec 14, 2003
    I have been playing for a few month's on a Curry 3BC. I really don't know the difference between a B and a BC however I do know that a BC the "Chicago" line is based on orchestral mouthpieces. Basically what had to be bought before as a multi piece mouthpiece "rim, cup, backbore,etc." THey are basically the equivalent of a Bach rim plus a B cup which is deeper than the standard C cup plus a 24 throat which has to be special ordered or drilled out after market and all of this is put together into a 1 piece solid mouthpiece. You can e-mail curry with this question and I'm sure you will get a reply. You can find an e-mail on the website and if not just tell me so and I will give one to you.
  8. richtom

    richtom Forte User

    Dec 7, 2003
    The Curry BC models differ from his B models in a few important areas.
    Curry's own B cups have a slightly different shape than the Bach B cups on the BC. More importanly is the larger throat and backbore used on the BC. All his Bach-style mouthepieces use the C rim size for each model number. Bear in mind that a Bach 3B has a substantially different rim than the 3C does. The C rims have a different first angle (the alpha angle as GR calls it and Curry makes reference to) into the cup than B rims and cups generally do.
    I have played a 1 1/2 BC model and it played beautifully with a huge sound. As I have a very dark sound, I could not purchase it as it sounded nearly like a flugelhorn, but for others with a "normal" brightness or someone with a very bright sound or horn and would like to darken it up should give them a try. These mouthpieces have symphonic use in purpose, but work work well in many situations.
    Take the advice above and check out the Curry website. Mark certainly knows what he is doing and makes really terrific mouthpiecs and is a nice guy to talk to.

Share This Page