mouthpiece - leadpipe - gap

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kang-Ling, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    how important is the (no-) gap between the end of the mouth-piece-shank and the beginning of the leadpipe ¿?¿?¿?

the other day (with my simple measuring-"equipment") I had a look :

for example: a Bach mouthpiece in a Stradivarius trumpet : there is practically cero gap between mouthpiece and leadpipe

some other horns (because of the mouthpiece-receiver-design) have some huge gaps

but - surprisingly - they don´t sound bad at all !!!....................................

2. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Go to Bob Reeves website, he has some information on GAP!!

3. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    A Larger gap will make a horn more resistant with tighter slots, while a small gap will make it more free blowing (than it would be with a larger gap but not necessarily free blowing overall) with looser slots

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Gap is NOT a must have, it is a nice to have. The differences are definitely not between good an great or good and bad. They are much more subtle.

Bach mouthpieces with a Bach trumpet have gap all over the place. Schilke recommended no gap. Their shanks are also so thin/sharp at the end that one cannot speak of "gap". The same applies to many Monette mouthpieces. Dave Monette DOES take the distance between the mouthpiece and leadpipe seriously. I think that has more to do with the total length of the instrument than some gap with magical powers. I would not recommend adjusting the gap without getting the valves aligned. There is much more error in the bore there.

5. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    From what K. O. at Brass Spa told me, the gap changes the distance between notes just slightly. Like a slinky, smaller gap is like a compressed slinky that is very close together and a larger gap like an expanded slinky. Here's video from Stomvi USA Facebook page.
    Stomvi USA | Facebook