mouthpiece lowering

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Sep 21, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    The mouthpiece is getting lower and lower on my lip as I play. At first, the circular imprint on my top lip is pretty high, but then it keeps on getting lower. I have a feeling that my sound is getting more clogged up when I play like this. What should I do to keep the mouthpiece up? If that isn't the preblem, what should I do?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You should get a teacher.

Maybe the lower mouthpiece is better, maybe not. If the mouthpiece moves while playing, your practice habits are not good and you simply are not paying attention.

Turning the brain on before playing prevents many funny things from happening. If you can keep your pants up, the mouthpiece should be no challenge.

3. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Hey, double check the circular imprint - how deep is it? If it's very deep, you could be pressing too hard and encouraging the mouthpiece to slide.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Get a good teacher to work with you on this problem, no one here without seeing and hearing you can give you real quality help. I would also be working in front of a mirror and watching that it does not move.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Due to a non playing injury to my top lip, I had to move my mouthpiece to a higher setting so I could get some scar tissue in the cup and away from the rim, I practiced very soft long tones ,slurs ,and Arban's ,and whenever I would start to feel the mouthpiece slip ,I would stop and reset .

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Due to a non playing injury to my top lip, I had to move my mouthpiece to a higher setting so I could get some scar tissue in the cup and away from the rim, I practiced very soft long tones ,slurs ,and Arban's ,and whenever I would start to feel the mouthpiece slip ,I would stop and reset .