Mouthpiece making

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by screaminhigh911, Jan 11, 2006.

1. screaminhigh911

screaminhigh911 New Friend

Jan 8, 2006
    Vancouver, Washington
    Hi everybody,

I was just wondering exactly how mouthpieces are made. I've never really found out how.

Thanks in advance.

Ethan

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    ETHAN!!!!

Welcome to the TrumpetMaster!

The mouthpieces are made really well!

Stay tuned for a more in-depth and intelligent reply from someone else.

-cw-

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

So they claim. You should see the 3 different 3Cs that I just ordered for a student to try. It's possible that the plater ruined these. The rims are all different but then, the depths are different too! :evil: Every measurement that one could make is different. I can't blame it all on the plating job.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Don't forget that the cutting tools, either Hi speed or carbide can and do become dull, and worn, or sometimes break or chip.
    This will also affect the size. Especially if the machinist doesn't catch it or QC does not check it well enough.

-cw-

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    While this is certainly true of makers that do high volume business, I know a couple of custom mouthpiece makers where this is not so much of a problem.

The biggest issue, from what I have seen, is designing and making the tooling that will then in turn make the mouthpieces. For instance, there are rim shaping tools, bore tools, cup tools, tooling to shape the outside of the mouthpiece, and that sort of thing.

Anyway, mouthpieces are turned on a lathe. Whether it's a machinists bench lathe or a million dollar CNC lathe, they are made by using a lathe.

6. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
  7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    And... some of the newer, CNC lathes have automatic tool wear compensation built into their control systems.

8. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    ...'Tis good to see a wee bit 'o humor now and again...

9. DeepQuest

DeepQuest New Friend

Oct 2, 2012
    Hello! I'm looking at making a handful of mouthpieces and have access to CAD, a CNC lathe, and a CNC mill. Anyone have any suggestions of what to do or not do?

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    6 + yr old ZOMBIE THREAD!!! [​IMG]