Mouthpiece matters to me.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cb5270, Jan 28, 2016.

1. iiipopes

iiipopes Pianissimo User

Aug 27, 2014
    We cannot think of the phrase, "get the job done," as being anywhere close to analogous to, "it doesn't matter what equipment you use."

Think of it this way: a person who wears a 42 regular suit, who needs to be at a function requiring a jacket, can "get the job done" with a 44 long. But he will be fidgeting, raising the sleeves, tugging his tie, and not comfortable, although he will be "dressed appropriately" for the function. OTOH, he will look great and feel comfortable in the 42 regular, and have an overall better experience at the function.

Same way with a mouthpiece - get and keep the one that tailors properly to the player's embouchure, style and repertoire.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    ... and then it comes down to a mouthpiece that works the best for ME with a certain trumpet. Notice that song to song I may be called upon to double on my picc with a cornet mpc or on the euph ... and I can do it. Those here that really know me, also can realize how many times I've had to completely rebuild my embouchure. I wont say that such is easy to do either, just as it wasn't easy the first time, when I first began to learn how to play a trumpet.

3. Shifty

Shifty Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    Etch that in stone. Add my thanks.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It's always interesting to get other people's experiences with mouthpieces. Thanks to cb5270 for sharing his thoughts.

But I'm not sure what it demonstrates. With any equipment change, there's going to be an adjustment. What cb5270 experienced might have happened no matter what mouthpieces were involved. It probably has nothing to do with a Curry 3C-dot vs a Bach 3C. It probably only demonstrates that cb5270 is used to the Curry 3C-dot.

Mike

5. cb5270

cb5270 Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2013
    Post cancelled.

6. cb5270

cb5270 Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2013
    Pretty much right on. I didn't expect much of a response to the post, as you say it doesn't "demonstrate" much of any thing. I just felt some one might find it interesting.

I used a 3C and 7C (which sounded harsh for me) and did well enough but always felt the rim bite after playing a long time. The Curry with it's wider rim sounded like a better fit for my tooth setup, which it is. As you said there was an adjustment period, the results were worth it. Now I seem to be sensitive to the narrower rim.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Many of us probably had similar experiences. I remember showing up to a gig without my mouthpiece. (I put my trumpet in a different case before the gig.) I had to use a old mouthpiece I had in the other case. I got through the gig ... barely. :-)

Mike

8. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    There's a certain angry pastor that should take a look at this thread....

9. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    "Angry Pastor." LOL ROFL New reality show.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I will disagree. This is the internet. There is no should or shouldn't. More or less everything is offered "as is", regardless of who posts.

Just like with a real live teacher, there is sometimes synergy, and sometimes stress. Trying to shape every message to each individual person is futile. Rather than water down the message to "lowest common denominator", I believe we need to simply take risks sometimes and not go into depression when someone isn't "in tune" with the messenger.

TrumpetMaster is what we make it. If it is primarily controversial, we will get an audience like at a boxing match. If we have a mix of defined areas, everyone can go to where they feel most comfortable.