Mouthpiece matters to me.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cb5270, Jan 28, 2016.

1. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    I switched from a Bach 3C to a Curry 5C recently and the curry was uncomfortable and I used this as an opportunity to back off the pressure. Time will tell about the switch but can't argue that it made me aware that I was using more pressure than I thought I was.

2. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    Having said that, I'll now say that I own dozens of mp, have tried and returned more than that, and wish I could try more, realizing that the addiction to the "magic fix" is strong indeed. Each mp will do something the others won't, and also not do something that others make easy. The tradeoff seems to be tone vs. flexibility vs. endurance. Some horns react more to mp differences, esp. flugelhorns. Each shows you both your strengths and your limitations.

In the concert band, I'll switch to a smaller mp if my part has a lot of tongued above the staff notes, and likewise go to a more symphonic sound from a larger mp if an ostinato tone predominates. I once bought a mp (#1xb) just for a Mahler piece....enormous low tone, but useless above the staff, unless my chops are in super shape, something that is not always possible.

Likewise, there are "go-to" mp that I keep handy, esp. in 3-4 hr. gigs that will get out any note if asked to...not the greatest tone, but dependable, and never far from my reach. Ted Sparks has a Sparx 2bc cornet mp made for back row (British brass band) players that is specifically made for lower part endurance. Works, too...I use it with my Strad trumpet often.

Could I do it all with one mp? Sure, and ofttimes do, just to get away from my equipment obsessions and the insecurities that follow close behind them. I'm thinking that if I hear myself produce a certain tone, that I can then more likely get that tone from my memory no matter what I'm playing....sort of the "desert island" approach....play what you have in your hands.