mouthpiece parts explanation

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Chester Hill, May 17, 2018.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Conversation with a trombone player 20+ years ago,

"What is that on your mouthpiece?"

"Its a Tone Booster"

"What does it do?"

"It boosts the tone"

"Does it work?"

"It must work, it cost $45".

Regards, Stuart.

neal085 and Sethoflagos like this.
  2. cbtj51

cbtj51 New Friend

Nov 15, 2016
    Deep South
    Late to the party, but here is my $0.02. I have been playing Reeves 2 piece mouthpieces exclusively since 1971, beginning with a 1S695 setup, superseded by a replacement 41S695 in 1988, my current lead mouthpiece. I regularly play Reeves 41 Rims in various 2 piece configurations depending on the style of music; 41C692, 41C2J, 41FE, 41HF. If there ever were any challenges based on single or 2 piece differences, those are long ago forgotten. I have never had a reason to change up to this point in time, so I probably won't ever. No fix necessary!

3. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Interesting theory Ivan! I would have to do an A/B comparison to be sure. Meaning have a one piece mouthpiece and a 2, or 3, piece mouthpiece that is the exact same configuration. I have three main trumpet mouthpieces I usually use: A very shallow straight V-cup MF style for loud lead/high note playing. Then I have one with the same rim but a slightly bigger throat and somewhat deeper straight V-cup. I use this one for jazz soloing in loud situations and lead/commercial playing on mic. Then I have a piece with the same rim, but a medium-deep straight V-cup. I use this for small group jazz and any classical/commercial work that requires a darker sound.

Fact of the matter is, I find the 1 piece mouthpieces, with the same rim and different underparts depending on the style of playing, are simply more efficient in terms of just switching. Like if I am on a gig that may require more than one style of sound. It is just easier to swap mouthpieces then to have to be screwing and unscrewing pieces.

Then there are the flugel mouthpieces.. When I play flugel on a jazz gig, I usually have several mouthpieces on a shotgun bullet holster attached to my belt. I find flugels to be especially volume/mouthpiece sensitive and there are plenty of jazz gigs I do where the volume of the rhythm section really fluctuates depending on the tunes and the crowd noise. Right now my two main flugel pieces have the same rim as my trumpet mouthpieces and, at some point I may have 2 more designed, an extra shallow and an extra deep one with the same rim as my other pieces.

Intuitively, and just for efficiency’s sake in the way I was talking about, having several 1 piece mouthpieces with the same rim seems like the way to go for me. All the very best, Lex

rowuk likes this.