mouthpiece placement(reducing variables)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, Jan 4, 2009.

1. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Here is a trick I learned years ago. The fewer variables we have with our equipment, the more consistent we will play.My analogy is to a race car;if you can get one more horse power out of a race car it might mean the difference between winning or losing the race. Try this! Put a mark on your mouthpiece,I use a Sharpie pen. Place the mark at a 12 o'clock position when the mouthpiece is in the leadpipe. Play in this position. Now put the mark at a 3 o'clock position...play. Continue with the mark at a 6 and 9 o'clock position. You will most likely find that the piece plays better at one of those positions. Once I find the optimum position, I mark it with a dot of fingernail polish, it won't wear off as easily as the Sharpie will. Good luck!!
    Wayne Naus
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    oh...I never heard of this. How come it plays beter in a particular place? I mean, at least it is supposed to be 100% symetric.

But thanks, I have to try it.

3. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Any inconsistency in the backbore will affect how the air enters the horn.
    WN

4. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    It's called clocking the mouthpiece. I believe it's supposed to have less effect now with CNC machining, but vintage pieces could be quite inconsistent and out of round in places. Some people swear by it, others say it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. Jury's out so far as I'm concerned. I can see if a piece is out of round it'd help, but I doubt mine are (unless they were dropped before I got them!).

5. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    I've found that even with CNC, there still seems to be a "Sweet" spot. Maybe because
    even with CNC, the cut is only as good as the tool making the cut, ie, worn tool, and if the piece is mass produced, and the CNC machine is running fast to keep up with the production, the wall isn't as smooth as it would be had they slowed down and really let the tool do the work. if you clean and dry your piece and look into the backbore you can almost always see machine marks, lite but there there, even on the most expensive pieces. I've looked into them with a digital microscope and have seen the machine marks.
    Unless you use a polishing process you'll have the marks, and it's very rare that the backbore is polished.
    Good thread Wayne !

PS What color fingernail polish do you use...LOL !!

Hoghorn

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. john daniel

john daniel New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    appleton, WI
    Ghitalla was pretty religious about doing this. I've seen Vizzutti and many players do this. With some equipment it is really important. Not only can the mouthpiece be out of round, the receiver can have the same problem. The most obvious issue is that it effects the "gap". The more worn the equipment, the more it might pay to consider this. However, I have also noticed that once you start putting in the mouthpiece the same way every time, the metal wears very inconsistently and we start to make the problem worse, so it is a case of self fulfilling prophecy. Most well made equipment when new is not that out of round, you may notice a very slight difference from one position to another, and you may notice 3 or 4 spots that lock in best, in a very subtle sense. I usually don't notice that much with the mouthpieces I'm playing, but if I'm having trouble tonguing low notes or high notes, I might look into this issue.

So maybe we can get an informal study going. Try it and report back.
    John

7. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Whatever color my wife is wearing at the time....LOL

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Even with CNC machining it depends on the manufactors margin for error. I know from experience that some name production companies let thngs trhough that are not as perfect as possible. Mpc rims may not be that symetrical. Mpc tapers may not all be the same. The mpc receiver may not be dead center on the leadpipe. Even consistancy with mpc size may be a issue. It depends on what they will let through. When it becomes more of a product than a musical instrument than consistancy is not their top priority

9. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  10. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I don't know 100% how mechanical it is, or how much voo-doo is in it, but I've definitely put the mouthpiece number at about 45 degrees above the bell for years, and I think its helped.