mouthpiece placement(reducing variables)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, Jan 4, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ted, the whistling goes away when the trumpet is attached because the resonant behaviour of the instrument (and no more sharp edged shank in free air) completely changes the playing field. We cannot analyse and optimise any aspect of our playing harware or software without considering the entire system. Lip calisthenics do not optimally train the lips because we need a combination of flexibility, power, strength and sensitivity. The Monette mouthpiece is different than a standard Bach because the entire system is considered, tuning pitch, pitch center and dynamic behaviour. Without the horn attached, there is no advantage. When you have the horn attached, the standing wave, slotting and impedance of the horn modify the overall playing characteristics. THAT is where we have to spend our time!

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    With a Monette trumpet or mouthpiece everything is made to the most precise tolorances. No clocking is neccessary.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I'm not sure I agree with you there, the player who first told me about this is a long-time monette client, and he swore by it. It probably matters less, but still matters

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Robin, your logic is impeccable, but I have got into the habit of 'centering my blow' down the throat and it seems to work for me (probably another of those things that are 'Head') - I can't argue with what works, even though I don't understand it, which is exactly the reason I left my comment open for your considered rebuttal - thank you once again.

Bob, that may be true if the cobination is Monette/Monette, mine is not - so clocking too works for me, and the result (phase angle or angle of rotation) is different for each horn if I use the same Monette mouthpiece.

5. rikrdo

rikrdo New Friend

Mar 9, 2004
    Sunny So Cal
    man alive...........

You guys are amazing.
    Great thread and very interesting, to say the least.
    I will definitely try this out.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Rikrdo,

We aim to help - but necessarilly that means were are always open to learn. Listen to the other guys - they know what they are talking about.