Mouthpiece Placement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BHSBrass, Dec 1, 2008.

1. BHSBrass

BHSBrass New Friend

May 20, 2008
    Hey every, i'm back again with another big question. In my lessons with my private teacher I have come to find out that my mouthpiece placement is apparently terrible, he said I can make the choice whether to change the place I play or keep it the same and was wondering if everyone on this board could help me decide what to do.

Here are two pictures, one of my current setup, and one of my proposed setup after a change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Help and advice is much appreciated!

2. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    Hey man, I had this same issue and I did do the change. Just know that you are going to have a rough month or two. Some say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Others are very particular as to where your mouthpiece should be. Your embouchure may not look right to someone else but if it works for you than don't even think about it. I have seen some play out of the side of their mouth and sound just as good as the next guy. Hopefully you are being guided in the correct direction because it is a big step for a player to take. I myself am glad I did the change. I think... but just make sure you don't have anything important to play because things are gonna get shaky for a while. Bring a mirror with you every practice session to make sure you are setting in the write spot. I wish you the best of luck.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The pictures are hard to see too dark. Did your teacher tell you why you needed to change? What the pros and cons are?

4. BHSBrass

BHSBrass New Friend

May 20, 2008
    My teacher said that I did not have enough of my top lip in the mouthpiece and was using to much bottom lip. He plays with about 2/3 top 1/3 bottom so it's pretty much the opposite of my playing position so I dont know if its a personal preference.

5. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I did that for a few years, and my tone suddenly got horrible, because my lips were vibrating at two different speeds.

I suggest trying to change, because if you play that way too long, it'll kill you later.

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I was always taught it should be 50/50 but I do know that those people that play in the upper register a lot and are famous for it tend to use more uper lip in the cup then lower lip. I am not an expert though that much I am sure of. Is their something lacking in your music? I ask because some golfer's like Tiger Woods where able to remake their swing and still be great while other's that have tried to change up their swing had horrable results even though their new swing was technicly correct? Look at how many Jazz Sax and Jazz FLute players play in a way that is not correct ie the side of their mouth instead of center. In the end if it is not broke then do not fix it! If you have issues then fix it and see if it helps. Look at Dizzy Glispie(sp) not only was his lip postioning not great but look at his cheek's? I also think that he pressed his mouth piece very very firmly against his lips which is another no no. No one told him to change.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    For endurance its usually better not to play with the mouthpiece rim on the red part of the top lip, I know there are exceptions for every rule , but if I can get a student to play with the red inside the rim they usally have less problems with range and endurance.

8. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    You could also try changing your mouthpiece. Get something with a larger rim diameter so that your top lip can get in there. What mouthpiece are you playing on?

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Harry James wrote the the 8th Wonder of the World...the Benny Goodman trumpet section all used different placements.

He said, "I use a 2/3 top and 1/3 bottom, Chris (Griffin) uses a 50-50 and Ziggy (Elmann) is 1/3 top and two thirds bootom and dangerously close to his right ear." And they switched the lead parts as they were handed out. No one was THE lead player. They all played all the parts.

No one can tell you where to put it. Play the horn where it's comfortable.

-cw-

et_mike likes this.
  10. bkonstans1

bkonstans1 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 19, 2007
    Aurora, IL
    whatever gives you the best sound is the best thing for you.