Mouthpiece Placement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mark f, Sep 26, 2009.

1. mark f

mark f New Friend

Sep 25, 2009
    Hi, as a "comeback" player I'm wondering if a change in location of mouthpiece has been possible. I started playing at 12 yrs old and placed the mouthpiece off-center to the right. I can't say that I did it for any particular reason like my teeth being crooked or anything, other than at the time it must have been more comfortable.

My band teacher must not have thought anything of it because I don't remember him saying anything about it. I played alot for 15 years, a little for 10 years, and now basically been off for about 10 years. I feel comfortable playing, although tone/range/endurance are almost non existant!!! (Is there anything left?) LOL

My question then would be, as I basically would be relearning and strengthening my lip, would I be worse off--as though I had never played at all?

Mark

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mark,
    if you are just getting restarted, put the mouthpiece in the middle (teeth allowing). There is no disadvantage and then you will have no doubts. Range, endurance and tone are not based on symmetry of the face.

The most important part for you is getting a routine and some REGULAR practice time. Long tones, slurs and easy tunes is a great recipe for the beginning. I recommend a Hymnbook because there are HUNDREDS of well known tunes in a range that is easy to handle. You can focus on making music and know when things are working right.