Mouthpiece Plating

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Humbtresd, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Humbtresd

Humbtresd New Friend

May 15, 2011
    Maryland
    I was wondering how does the type of plating effect the mouthpiece..... like which is the best,....i know lots of pro players use gold and silver plated mouthpiece but whats the difference and what other materials to choose from .... and isnt there also plasticc mouthpieces?:shhh:

Sincerely Curious trumpet player

2. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I love gold, it feels 'softer' to me, but it's probably just psychological. No definitive studies have shown any real difference from what I understand. Gold seems to be the flavor du jour. And I love how it looks.

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Lots of mouthpiece websites explain the differences in finish. There are minute advantages to certain finishes for some players, especially those with metal allergies, but for the most part it is cosmetic. Obviously the non-metal have an advantage in extreem cold weather playing. I agree that gold seems softer to me, I think the smoothness of the plating is luxurious. Then there is the wow factor of having a delux look. For me it gives a custom look along with gold dress-up kits and custom finger buttons in beautiful colors and designs. Sort of like a car that you love, you want to ad some personal touches to make it your own. Nothing wrong with that! Best wishes.

4. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    Silver plating has "grip", while gold has more of a slippery, soft feel, because it is indeed, a softer metal. Your chops usually have to work more with gold, because there is less grip, and some players don't like that, so they choose silver over gold. Gold does look nice though. :cool:

As to plastic mouthpieces, I think Bobby Shew uses a bright red Kelly plastic mouthpiece! It works for him :-? They warm up much faster, and high school students love them for marching band. I've tried them, and they felt "dull", they don't have a brassy resonance that you can only get from a brass mouthpiece- at least, in my opinion.

As far as my limited knowledge can tell, there is no difference in sound between plating types, though some seem to think so. It's just a few microns thin- how can it influence sound?! But I digress...

You can use the search function at the top to found out more about mouthpieces and plating- just type in your query and go! TrumpetMaster has years of experience and knowledge players.

Addison

EDIT: Oh, and there are also solid stainless steel and titanium mouthpieces(!!!)- I know Dr. Dave Harrison makes a stainless steel line for his Wedge mouthpieces and they're supposed to be really bright and focused because they don't vibrate as much... at least, that's what I hear.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Some players use an embrasure that grips the mouthpiece. Silver works best for it. Gold is more slippery. I have both gold and silver, but prefer silver because I use the grip embrasure.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The slipperyness is not the metal, it is the scratches in the metal. Gold is soft and scratches easily. Those scratches (actually microscratches - very fine, hard to see) hold moisture and make the mouthpiece feel slicker.

Kind of the same principle as lapped valves.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Absolutely correct. Proabably should have said gold results in the mouthpiece being more slippery due to water int he scratches.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Certainly fluid accumulates in the scratches of a gold mouthpiece, but saying that it is water, while some content may be, is just to say so nicely in lieu of grossing you out. Actually the same also accumulates to some extent on all other mouthpieces. Hygiene ladies and gentlemen! Wash your rmouthpieces as often as possible.