Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Markie, Jan 28, 2010.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    P.S., he hasn't logged in in over 4 years as Markie. He could be someone else, but there aren't many C&P posters here any longer.

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ah...I see that. Revived through late reference.

3. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Why don't you like him?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hmm.... He does post in the style of Dr.Mark. Oh wow... Dr.Mark-Markie... Hmm... could it be or have been as Dr.Mark is no longer with us either. (other than in spirit of course).

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Dr. Mark was or appeared to be original. Markie was just a dufus that cut and pasted info to appear to be more than he is imo. You can read through his posts if you want. Some are really good because he copied good sources, but tried to pass it off as his own. I finally called him on his advise to parents that the ubiquitous Bach 7C was the greatest mpc ever made. I kinda laid him out for it and he left in a huff.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dr. Mark is an original. He still is very much here at TM, just not posting (his personal choice). He does communicate by PM.

Markie went with a bang a couple of years ago. I never thought about the two being one. The style of posting is different.

Getting back to pressure assessment, I normally do not advocate attention to pressure, rather building practice and playing habits that naturally strengthen breathing, body use and chops. We need these exercizes even if pressure is not an issue, so it isn't like we need something special for it. Pressure is a symptom of weakness. We relieve the necessity of pressure by becoming strong. Only a weak teacher would have to "prove" to a student that they are using too much pressure. A fine teacher would simply assign the correct sequence of exercizes to let the player improve through evolution.

As far as permanently destroying our chops, for those that come to TrumpetMaster with pressure issues, I have not run into one that plays so much that the chops could even be close to permanently damaged. Especially in younger years, the human state is essentially indestructible! This may explain my dedication to process and not to miracles........

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So true, but it really scares me with as much as I have been playing with the quintet over the past decade as to the risk of over doing it. You hear about the damage Freddie Hubbard did to his lip, and other pros that I am very much aware of keeping this from happening. That is why I have used alternative methods to vibrating the mouthpiece and also listen to my body when subtle messages come in that I am beginning to fatigue.

8. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    They both did the:
    Rowuk sez
    --------------
    The style of posting is different.

I agree, maybe he learned his lesson.

9. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    The post may be a cut and paste (and certainly not Dr Mark as he has PMed me with on a post with some good advise), but it did get me thinking about free lip buzzing (no mouthpiece) I have been doing this daily now for about 6 months when I'm driving, out walking (alone), etc. But I still pretty much have to place my tongue on the back of my lips in order to get a good buzz going (and I'm not even in Colorado). Just curious if this is pretty normal with free buzzing and how long before I am able to free buzz tongue free........

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If our lips are supple, and we do not use excessive tension with our chops, we should be able to move from a flap to high notes simply by exhaling through the lips. If we have developed "high tension chops", it could take a while before we can replace this bad habit with a good one.