Mouthpiece pressure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stecer, Nov 4, 2010.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Whenever I think of pressure, I think of the how my air is being compressed, and to avoid using to much pressure against the inside of my rib cage so that I don't force the blood there out into my head and give myself a stroke.

I think of pushing the mouthpiece against the lips as "force" not "pressure", and that is important to avoid looking like a moron with a dent in his lips.

If I never become a pro because of it, such is life.

2. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Too much pressure and you injure the delicate lip muscles. Get scar in that area and you're done. That's what did Louis Armstrong in.:shhh:

Dr. Mike.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    a beginner playing 7 hrs -- I don't know how you really sounded, but that is a pretty good deal to hold up that long

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I really got to agree with this. As a comebacker with no teacher other than information on the internet and books. I have sometimes "fallen" into playing some REAL stuff above high C. Sometimes I do that for 2 days in a row ---(because it feels good) --- then I pay for it, for up to 4 days, by having SORE chops and poor practices until my muscles recover.
    I guess there is no one (a teacher) to remind me to take an easy --- progress in definitive steps, a little at a time, and NOT get stupid with my routines.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I think there is a little bit of, "What comes first the chicken or the egg?"

Do you work on your embouchure before your chops, or after you have the chops. If you work on your embouchure, first when you get the chops you have to learn it all over, if you work on your chops first you still sound horrible.

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Thanks, I think! I played something like .... 2 hours .... then an hour a half ..... then an hour .... then another hour or so... then slept, then another 1-1/2 or 2 ..... Not 7 straight. And I got some Blistex first and had that handy. I also mini-breaks of a few minutes here 'n' there.

I didn't get a single "You suck!" as kids are likely to say to a musician who's not-so-good. I got a LOT of encouragement from people.

I know from sports it was a bit of a fool's mission and I was very watchful for danger to my lips, but I paced myself well and I think it was worth it. I had to get out there. And .... it was great. :play::thumbsup:

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yeah - I just think that is great. I have been doing 3 hr. practices each night, similiar to that --taking breaks -- but it is still a workout, and after 23 months into a comeback, I'm not really a beginner anymore.