Mouthpiece Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zeus, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Zeus

Zeus New Friend

Feb 11, 2012
    Tulsa, OK
    Why do people that recieved free mouthpieces from all the great trumpeters that are discontinued make copys and charge almost $200. At $100 each I'm sure they would sell more than 2 times what they sell now? Just curious, some younger players that weren't around when those mpc's were available will never get a chance to play on one.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There is a reason it is called the music industry. This includes the stuff that comes out our bells as well as the stuff we hold in our hands, and the stuff we read and listen to. Mouthpieces are complicated, and to make an exact copy involves some serious machining. We do have it better than violists, who have been known to put out some really serious money for just a bow. A good mouthpiece will last for years (I know--I've a drawer full of them) and if it does the job we want, $200 is a bargain.

Just sayin'.

3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ????

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

True that.

Yeah, I am with Trent. Do you have a question or something?

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Great point.

If you stick with one mouthpiece it's very cost effective.

Not sure how often clarinet players go through reeds, but obe the course of a lifetime I'm sure it's not cheap to replace them.

6. Zeus

Zeus New Friend

Feb 11, 2012
    Tulsa, OK
    Just a question, I've played my Jet Tone 6B on and off since 78. As a high school student the $25 didn't kill me but to a kid now $200 (unless they have rich parents) will never see one. Thats all I'm putting out there.

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I see now. I am looking at a mouthpiece that will cost a total of $292.40 brand new. This is expensive stuff. I wish they cost $25, I really do.

8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    There are many people making affordable mouthpieces these days. I wish I could sell all my pieces at the price of my Introductory ACB 5 piece but my costs keep going up and margins going way down. It's expensive to make great pieces... I can guarantee that. I'm not willing to cut corners and put out an inferior product. I also don't know where you're getting that $200 figure as well.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Father of the gods, I think VB, TA, Cody and gbdeamer are ahead of me here, but I am not sure who or what you are referring to. Who received the mouthpieces for nothing, and then copied them? Which great trumpeters? An example or two would help me...

Thanks,
    --bumblebee

10. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    Because Everyone know that a $100 mouthpiece doesn't play as good as the $200 even if it comes off the same lathe with the same template. Duhhhhh

codyb226 likes this.