Mouthpiece Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zeus, Mar 4, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    My Prana cost $280 (a year ago) and I haven't spent a dime on another mp since, nor wasted a minute playing other mps that are only temporary. Money well spent, I'd say. I like the way it plays, sounds, and looks. What's left? Safari over. New (or old) trumpets that don't work with my Prana are destined for the classifieds. I find it funny that people will happily spend many thousands on the perfect custom trumpet, then complain and moan because their mouthpiece cost more than $50. :dontknow: (what be up with that?)

As for the Monette costing more than other mps .... Why should I care, if I can afford it? (I'll spend more on guitar strings this year) There are probably proprietary secrets of manufacturing them, making so called "copies" a big waste of time, along with hands-on craftsmen hours, that include fine tuning (that other manufacturers can't or don't do). Seems a lot like simple math to me.:dontknow:

The only other type of MP I'd consider at this point is one of Trent Austin's ... word has been really good on them. Again, they're not cheap, but why would a trumpet player want a "cheap" mouthpiece???

Turtle

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    codyb226 likes this.
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The difference between a beginner mpc and a pro mpc is practice!! ;-) - Tobylou8

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmm, how much is an iPod? iTunes cards for downloading to already purchased iPod? Kids got money. I begrudge no one for making a buck or two. As far as these rare pieces go, it's kinda like getting upset over custom made suits not being available to the masses. A custom suit for Micheal Jordan would probably not look as good on me as him (it would be a little too big). I look (and sound) good in my "Faded Glory" collection and my $15 Giardinelli mpc.

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I play on an old Rudy Muck 16S mouthpiece. It gives me a clarity and a richness that focuses my sound. I can play numerous mouthpieces (don't have a drawer full, but I have a respectable assemblage of pieces that I don't/won't use. I would like to try the Monette pieces or one of the new Austin pieces, but finances limit my traveling to where they are to make sure that I get the one that I want. I generally have to pay about 50.00 when I buy my pieces on eBay. That much I am willing to gamble. Nothing against thye higher priced pieces, if I had the discretionary funds I would fly to the shop to find out which one to buy. Otherwise, if I can find a backup for my main mouthpiece I can send one to Dave or Trent to see what they would recommend for me from their lines. Until then, I languish with "old" mouthpieces.

While we're talking about reed players and their costs, my father would generally buy a mouthpiece a year for his clarinets. They generally ran about 100.00 each, and he went on as many safaris as I do today. It's okay, if the end result justifies the search. I am always willing to try something that improves the sound and makes the job easier.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sorry, but I'm in love with my Olds 3 (which they don't make anymore) on my Martin Committee, and I am not in the market for a replacement nor am I planning on making $200 on copying this mouthpiece (that by the way came free with the trumpet I bought on eBay).

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Cody, it is a mouthpiece (any mouthpiece) used by a professional.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I learned on an Olds3.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Turtle you know I luv you man so what I am about to say is no dig on you, as I really dig on you, you dig! I last Monday, for the first time, had the pleasure to try a Prana. It was handed down our trumpet section (oooo... germs!) in our big band. I on my Martin Committee, the 2nd trumpet on his Cannonball, the next in line on his Olds Super, the next in line (not sure because I cannot see that far)... that mouthpiece cut back on all of our sounds. Moral of that story, it just did not work on these players on these horns. Does that mean it is a bad mouthpiece... NO. It works for Turtle and THAT is what is important. This is an art that cannot be predicted, and many mouthpieces exist for these reasons, finding the exact balance is NOT a science, it is an art, and as artists, I really really hope we can understand this. If the mouthpiece works for you in giving you the sound you want $280 is worth the cost... in fact that is priceless.

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Good score!

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

I understood that. I just didnt think there was such thing, and I guess not, but sorta there is. I am happy (for the most part) with my mouthpiece.

NotCody likes this.