Mouthpiece problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by harboroughfox, Sep 3, 2012.

1. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I can't tell from the mpc chart recommended by Tobylou whether the 5b Heritage cornet piece is also a Wick. And I cannot tell where the DW5 is in terms of cup depth and throat size. I do note that you are in "the olde country" and other posts suggest some difficulty doing a mpc safari there. But basics first. If the two pieces are Wick, why not see whether Wick makes a deeper cup and more open throat in the same rim size? Since Wick is over there also, there might be some gain in sticking with those pieces.

I note the Yamaha 2335. Is that your main horn? My (limited) experience has been that they don't blow very open. I think someone else thought this could be a variable also. But we're not in this thread to suggest other horns.

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    There is a bunch of solutions...the easiest seems to change the mouthpiece. There are other mouthpieces than Bach and Wick. Look for a deeper, possibly funnel shaped mouthpiece cup and a bigger backbore, as stated above. Few brands that come to my mind are Breslmair, Scmidt, Best Brass, Curry among many others. Some are expensive, but not all of them.

3. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    *slap slap* long tones! Surprised that hasn't been suggested already!

And as a previous poster suggested, use more air. Thin sounds are quickly filled out when you pump the tank.

4. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    OK. let me go further. Play sweeter, less volume, think broader...think german. Phrase like a german. Eat bavarian sausages and drink bavarian beer (the last is just for fun) :-) Phrasing may make you sound "darker".

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    BLOW HARDER!!! :roll:

6. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Phrase like a German: Thomas Gansch (Mnozil): Bohemian Rhapsody with Mnozil Brass - YouTube (They sing a lot, you might want to skip that ;)) Skip to 2:55

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  7. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    or, if there really is a mouthpiece issue, talk to an expert. Someone like Phyllis Stork, or others I am sure people can suggest.

8. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Thomas is an austrian, not german. Not sure if this is a good example as it is a parody and they exaggerate everything for a drama effect, but play like a dream, no doubt.

9. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    They speak German (with a funny accent), but it's almost the same. We (The Dutch) are also sometimes called Germans.. Well, they sure can play, and that's what it's all about right?

10. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    There is a difference between the way the austrians and the germans play on brass instruments. Basically, the austrians aim for ligther sound and crisper articulations. If the OP aims for darker sound, german is what is needed. Go and google german brass or any of the world class symphony orchestra in Germany such as Munich or Berlin.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012