Mouthpiece puller Washington DC

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nicoluigi, Jul 31, 2010.

1. nicoluigi

nicoluigi New Friend

Jul 31, 2010
    Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this so its going up in the general forum:

I bought a used trumpet on ebay and the mouthpiece is stuck in the leadpipe... The rest is in pretty decent shape, specially after giving it a good clean. Does anyone living in the DC area have a mouthpiece puller to lend me? (or knows where to go around here)

Thanks!

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Any decent music shop will do it for free.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Any Music & Arts store will also pull it for free. There are several in the DC area.

4. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    if you do a lot of camping, you should have a mallet with a soft head. Tap very gently on the mouthpiece receiver of the trumpet, and it should shake it loose. If this doesn't work, it's has been glued in with grime, which is much more difficult to get through, and requires brute force and cleaning.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Not my ideal fix for a trumpet with a stuck MP, although a morse taper will certainly release if thumped on both sides at once - the same way the ball joints are removed from the steering rods in your car - but all that car stuff is steel, and good quality steel at that. Wacking a relativeley thin wall brass tube with another very thin brass tube inside it is quite frankly asking for trouble - do the trip to the local music tech and make a new friend, and there IS NO RISK - no ..." it should shake loose". Or search eBay for a puller of your own - not expensive, easy to use, does no damage, and is the tool made specifically for the job.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Thank you for asking!

Stores in your area have been mentioned. I would just like to stress that most of the broken rear braces or damaged leadpipes are due to DIYers with more arm strength than brains. Trumpets are made of thin metal and for the most part, soft soldered. Any major twisting motion is guaranteed to increase the damage many fold. Do not use pliers, pipe fitting tools or anything else brutal. If light taps are not enough - get professional help. I know that the true DIYer will never allow themselves to be beaten by a maschine. The odds are SO BAD with a musical instrument that blocking false pride is imperative!

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Here is one on eBay if you have a mind to purchase.

New Bobcat Mouthpiece Puller! (#150467313931)

8. nicoluigi

nicoluigi New Friend

Jul 31, 2010
    Great, thank you all for the info!!

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've thought about ordering an inexpensive mouthpiece puller on occasion, but In the 28+ years I've been playing brass instruments, I have gotten a mouthpiece stuck a grand total of maybe 5 or 6 times.

FWI, I have gotten a stuck mouthpiece loose with strategic tapping with a rawhide mallet. Not hard strikes, but just tapping around the receiver and on the rim of the mouthpiece.

Otherwise, the safe bet is to simply take it to a music store - they'll do it on the spot and if they charge you anything it will be nominal - probably about the cost of a value meal at McDonalds.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    This is probably the case with most people. For me, the few times my mouthpiece got stuck were VERY inconvenient, so I asked Santa to bring me one.

I've used it a total of 2 times in the past 5 years, and once was for someone else. I consider it a must have item, even if it's something I rarely use.