Mouthpiece puller Washington DC

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nicoluigi, Jul 31, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is a cheap substitute:
    Remove the trumpets tuning slide, push a wooden(!) rod through until it stops in the backbore of the mouthpiece. A light tap on the rod and out the mouthpiece comes, no damage anywhere - unless the mouthpiece falls on the floor in the process. A thicker conductors baton works for this sometimes too.........

2. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Rowuk,

that is literally the most insightful, logical answer I have ever heard. Here I am thinking about heating metals on the stove, or lubrication, I am sitting here imagining all the diffreent ways and something that simple pops into your head..... maybe that is why I need a tool box to change a lightbulb.

3. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is my problem, all the stuff that pops into my head - especially as I am accused of talking too much anyway..........................

I also teach and conduct amateur groups. My toolbox has all sorts of stuff to improvise with. More important than getting the mouthpiece out is cleaning everything afterwards so it doesn't happen again.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    But not for most cornets - too bad. Take it to the store. That is perhaps the best use for a baton, however.

5. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Here's something that has worked for me when nothing else does:

Tear off a 6 - 8 "" strip of duct tape. Wrap half of that around the visible shank of the mouthpiece and then wrap the other end around the index and middle fingers of your hand.

You'll find this should give you the torque you need to twist the piece free.

6. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I was going to try and be funny and suggest using a $10,000 lathe, some wine corks, and half a pound of black powder but someone might just be dumb enough to take me seriously. Nobody understands cowboy humor any more.

7. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    My local Band store says that if you don't have a mouthpiece puller available:
    "Dip the stuck mouthpiece and the first inch or so of the leadpipe under icy water for several seconds. The cold may make the metal contract and loosen up enough to free the mouthpiece.

OR

Put a drop or two of valve oil at the point where the mouthpiece enters the instrument, then GENTLY tap the mouthpiece from the side for several minutes. The vibrations from tapping may allow the oil to work its way deeply enough to loosen the joint."

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's kind of in line with the saying that, "very few problems in this world can't be solved with the proper application of high explosives."

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah, I forgot to say that very often when the mouthpiece is stuck, the tuning slide is too..............................