Mouthpiece Question - Effect of a Trombone mouthpiece on a trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cody18815, Jul 26, 2011.

1. cody18815

cody18815 New Friend

Jul 22, 2011
    Mouthpiece Question
    Currently my son plays a trumpet (Bach Strad and Yamaha Student Model) and will be a high school freshman. His Trumpet Tutor says he has Angelina Jolie lips and is starting Baritone too.
    Friend loaned us a modified mouthpiece last week: Trombone mouthpiece with a cornet shaft. Used an adapter to put the cornet shaft in a bach strad. Mouthpiece was the one John Cress (Trombonist with the Tommy Dorsey Band - used when he played a Cornet) Question will this affect the sound on the strad? Tutor is with the LA Chamber Orchestra and tried a tuner and the notes seem okay. The Trombone mouthpiece allows all of his lips to be in the cup for the first time. My son likes playing the trumpet. Will this affect the sound of the trumpet and make it sound fuller? My friend said that Cress sounded great on the cornet with this mouthpiece.
    :play::dontknow:

2. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Unfortunately I have no information whether or not Angela Jolie is a good trumpet player.
    In case she is NOT, it for sure is not her lips that are to blame.

A lot of first class trumpet players have full lips - most afro-americans do have full lips.
    Size - in this case - doesn't matter.

One has to find a good lip position by rolling them slightly in.

Trombone mouthpiece on a trumpet is a bad idea I'm afraid - rangewise, soundwise and whateverwise.

:thumbdown:

3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

The answer is that it probably won't work well. Strangely enough it could work in a rare case where the trumpet player did not protrude much upper lip into the mouthpiece. The vibration occurring more back toward the mouth. We sometimes call these players "Upstream" but I prefer to call them "Forward jaw". A more accurate term.

Once the upper lip moves inside the mouthpiece he will get a total "jug tone". Unmusical.

So I've done these tricks:

Played with receded jaw on trombone mouthpiece put in the trumpet (sounded terrible)

Played with forward jaw and sounded good. Could take it miles higher range wise than even my regular trumpet mouthpiece.

This was an extreme setting though. Will try and post video down the road. Good for a few laughs.

4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    I dunno....potentially traumatizing?

5. LEBOUTILLIER

LEBOUTILLIER New Friend

Apr 1, 2011
    Iowa
    sometimes I find myself pondering Angelina Jolie's lips.....

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Ok, tell me again, WHY put a trombone mpc on a trumpet? There's a reason we don't do this.

7. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I am more interested in how a saxophone mouthpiece will do on a trumpet.

8. Teze

Teze New Friend

Jul 17, 2011
    California
    I've fooled around with putting a trombone mouthpiece in my trumpet before. It makes the instrument sound exactly like a trombone but it keeps the same range as a trumpet.

9. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Trombone mouthpiece? Why not just use a wider trumpet mouthpiece? The Bach 1, the Warburton 1, the Schilke Symphonic M1 or M2, the Schilke 18 or 20?

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Seems like an awful lot going on at once here - trombone mouthpieces, BARITONE, tutor, friend?

Why BARITONE? Because of his lips, or because someone wants another low brass player?

If your son likes the trumpet, I say don't cloud the issue with BARITONE or trombone mouthpieces. Get a consult with another trumpet teacher just to be sure. There is no reason he can't play trumpet with a trumpet mouthpiece. He is NOT a trombone player who wants to double on cornet. He is a trumpet player who needs not to have to face a bunch of confusion at this stage of his development.

Spend a few bucks on a lesson with a really well-known teacher who understands mouthpiece issues, and take the advice you get. It will not be to use a trombone mouthpiece.

BTW - I think it is a very bad idea to throw in the Angelina Jolie bit. Young men in high school have enough going on with hormones and gender ID issues as it is. You CAN say he has full lips and leave it at that.