Mouthpiece question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Overtones, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Overtones

Overtones New Friend

Oct 24, 2010
    I have a Etude trumpet ($100).:play:
    I plan to upgrade to a good used yamaha
    YTR-2335 :thumbsup: next year if I keep with the trumpet pratice. My question
    is will the Etude trumpet play better with a better mouthpiece, I still
    use the same mouthpiece it came with. If so, what mouthpieces
    would you suggest? I play with a 7c that came with the Etude trumpet.
    Thank you.:dontknow:

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    You could try a Bach 7C! Shouldn't cost you too much on eBay!

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Bach 7c

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Check out this website. There is some good info here regarding how to select a mouthpiece. There are many factors that need to be addressed in proper mouthpiece selection. Too small or large a mouthpiece is not the best thing for you and your development. John has been making mouthpieces for world-class players since the 1970's. Do your research before you make a change. A good mouthpiece isn't cheap so I recommend you start here.

New Page 1

5. Rallyntando

Rallyntando New Friend

Nov 18, 2009
    New England
    This is just not true. The standard Bach 7c mouthpiece is just right for many players. You should be able to get one for used for under $25, or new for under $40.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Also a Yamaha 11C4 is very good. A good mouthpiecec will play better than a poorly made one even on a poorly made trumpet.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would not mess with the mouthpiece at all unless your teacher says that there is something wrong with it.

There are differences in mouthpieces, but they do not necessarily have anything to do with "good or bad". They have more to do with how much practice do you get in to train your face to work with it. Some of the mouthpieces sold with cheap trumpets are junk but that is impossible to judge without playing it first.

You need local help here, not anonymous advice. Ask your teacher or at least some decent player near you.

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I would point out too that the 7C some people have recommended seems to be the mouthpiece you already have, so it looks like you're set to follow Rowuks' advice.

-bumblebee

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Reread my post. I suggested he do RESEARCH before making a change. A GOOD mouthpiece isn't cheap if you're in school and may not have a job or other obligations. Rowuk is correct about advice over a forum. I would not tell the OP which mpc to use or not use. You should do some research on Bach's inconsistency in mouthpiece manufacturing. I've seen the ubiquitous 7c measure out to over .660! Bach literature specs it at .630. Thats pretty significant. Reread your OWN post, "The standard Bach 7c mouthpiece is just right for many players". That maybe true, BUT how do you know it is for this player? You don't! If the Bach 7c is perfect for the OP, great. My point is it should be a decision based on education and not "tradition". If you want an eye opening experience, check out Reeves, Monette, Black, Curry, and Stork to name a few and tell me they (mpc's) are cheap.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    There are a lot of junk 7Cs out there. I've played them. I've played some bad ones made by big name companies. To name a few: a Bach or Yamaha in the mid size range (7C or 11C4) is the best place to start for a beginner. These are fairly well made and will encourage a player to continue playing. It's hard enough to learn to play without fighting horns and mpcs so poorly made that even I couldn't get a decent sound out of them.