Mouthpiece question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Overtones, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Rallyntando

Rallyntando New Friend

Nov 18, 2009
    New England
    I just did, and I feel that I understand it. I also support doing research.
    I never said I knew what was best for this player. I merely suggested that a 7c is a good starting point, which it is.
    You make a good point. I should not have suggested Bach over any other brand. Also, stock Curry and Stork mouthpieces are only $5-10 more than Bach, Yamaha and Schilke prices (about $40 each). I would definitely tell you that they are cheap, especially when compared to a $200+ Monette.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    -----------
    Bob's right about that. There's a lot of junk 7C's out there.
    As for getting a teacher to recommend what to change to, I hate to say it, but I've honestly seen more bad trumpet teachers (at least they call themselves trumpet teachers) than bad mouthpieces. In my over 40 years of playing, I've seen maybe 4 good trumpet teachers.
    Yes, go with rowuk's advice about getting a teacher. Just make darned sure they know what they are talking about. A lot of band directors think that since they can teach music, they can teach trumpet. This is patently wrong.
    Just an idea: Go for a Bach 7C (used from Ebay) and learn your 12 major scales. the time it will take to memorize these twelve scales(which you need to know anyway, right?) should be enough time to determine if you need to change from a 7C. This will be a couple of years down the road.
    Hope this helps.

3. Overtones

Overtones New Friend

Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks for replies,

I might just get the bach 7c. If you do not mind I like to
    ask another question. How exacly will it improve the trumpet?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    When you consider the very small difference between a Bach 20c (.590 in) and a Bach 1 (.690 in), .1 inch would seem almost insignificant, yet most players would agree they are two totally different animals. I've met almost no one that would suggest starting on either extreme. If you split the difference you end up at .640 (a 5c). Guess whats lurking right there at .638? The old 7c. That is why it is so recommended. Not because of any in depth analysis of a players facial makeup. It's comfortably in the middle so you can confidently suggest it's use without being too far off large or small. It's like picking a number between 1 and 10 and always picking 5. It might be the perfect mpc for the poster or it could be too large or small. I doubt the mpc that came with his $100 horn is any better than the horn. Feel like I owe it to a new student to give them the best shot at enjoying making music with their trumpet since they took the time to register and post. Research will get them closer to what is best for them. It's more difficult than picking 5, but you have a better shot at getting it right.

5. Overtones

Overtones New Friend

Oct 24, 2010
    Just to let everyone know when I got braces when I was in my
    teens they had to make room in my mouth by removing four teeth
    and four more including my wisdom teeth and still my teeth seem
    to close together. So guess I am trying to say I have a small something...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nothing will improve your Etude. Sorry, it's a piece... . The Yamaha 2335 is a decent horn to start. Do your research on picking a mouthpiece. You will be glad you did.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I too had 4 teeth removed so they could put on braces. Had to wear those puppies 7 years!! You definitely don't have small teeth. All things being equal, and this is over the web, if your face/mouth structure are proportional, then your lips may be a little larger than average. This is a guess based on my experience as mine are slightly larger than average. This could translate to a larger sized mouthpiece than a 7c. Only you can see your lips. You've taken the time to get this far. Do more research on your mouthpiece.

8. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    +1

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---------------------
    It won't improve the trumpet. Only proper cleaning and maintanence will do that.
    Working with a Bach 7C will establish a beginning size for your lips to adjust to. Bach is a good brand and the 7C is possibly the most popular beginning mouthpiece in the world.
    A few people will say "What if they have thin lips?" or "What if they have fleshy lips?"
    Basically, it doesn't matter. The important thing is to get started on a mid sized mouthpiece (7C) and get it from a company that has a pretty good record of quality (without costing an arm & a leg).
    As for "How do YOU get improved?"
    Practice, Practice, Practice. We all have to practice!!
    There's a really cool saying( by Doc Severensen I think) that goes something like this:
    If I miss a day of practice, I notice it.
    If I miss two days of practicing, the band notices it.
    If I miss three days of practicing, the audience notices it.
    ---
    Once you get your mouthpiece, give us a shout and we can make suggestions on a practice routine that will make you better than you are.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    --
    Balony!
    Before one can start to research, there needs to be a some baseline experience. Research from this perspective should be relegated to learning how to use a mid sized mouthpiece from a quality company.
    Research is for those who have at least the basic skill sets under their belt.
    Are first graders given a choice of pencils to use? No.
    They all use the same size in the beginning and that's what we're talking about here, how to begin, not how to research and experiment.
    You have to walk before you run. One of the best ways to derail a good student is to throw a bunch of equipment at them and say "Here, experiment".
    You need to know about the topic before you experiment.
    That's why I say get a Bach 7C and with that mouthpiece, learn all twelve major scales. By that time the person will have gathered the knowledge about the feel and comfort of the mouthpiece to experiment.
    Heck let's change the word experiment to "an informed decision"

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010