Mouthpiece question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Overtones, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Rallyntando

Rallyntando New Friend

Nov 18, 2009
    New England
    My support of research was on a personal level. I wholeheartedly agree that students have no need to turn to Reeves or Monette.
    We also seem to agree on the use of a 7c mouthpiece as a good starting point. I'm failing to see any "Balony" in my post.

That 12 major scales idea is great. I wish my teacher had me do this in my first year.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---
    Sorry Rallyntando,
    When I reread the post, the concept of experimenting was a cut and paste from a tobylou8 rant which was only part of your post and not your words.
    I don't see Tobylou's posts unless they are cut and pasted into another's post..
    I stand corrected. My "Balony" statement was toward tobylou's post not yours.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We will just have to agree to disagree in this one. Otherwise it's a circular argument. It's really odd that when you buy any type of clothing, you pick the appropriate size to fit your body. However, when it comes to a mpc. for your lips (still part of your body) it's totally irrelevant! It just isn't logical at all. I never advocated "experimenting". That leads to a safari and gets expensive even with "cheap" mpc's.. The OP has the sense to post, I figure they have the sense to research before they go on a safari or start in the middle and several years later decide they need something else (if they are still playing). I give the poster more credit than you do. They obviously are not in the first grade. The 12 major scales can be mastered in month's, maybe weeks with diligence (not years). The biggest hurdle I see to helping a student in selecting a mpc.,is teachers like yourself that are closed minded and prefer the status quo rather than pursuing enlightenment. I don't like or dislike a particular size mpc., just the blather that passes for "knowledge". To quote Miles, no less, "Knowledge is freedom and ignorance is slavery"!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    --------
    I thought, "what the heck, let me see what you have to say, maybe its intelligent"
    oops, mistake on my part.
    It's one thing to quote Miles musically. Miles is a musical immortal and when I listen to his music, its unbelievable. I've been playing his stuff for years and still learn from it..
    However, Miles as a quality person worth quoting verbally?.
    Miles was a pimp, thief, junkie, nototiously difficult to get along with, wife beater, and known for his high infidelity. Other than that, he was a wonderful person.
    As for the Knowledge is Freedom crap? Tell that to someone with PTSD.
    Knowledge can stain just as well as it can enlighten.
    I have six words for the ghost of Miles. "Shut up and play your horn."
    ---
    Time to put tobylou back where I found him.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  5. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Disagree with someone, and you insult them.

Tobylou makes sense. You may not agree,and that's fine, but he's not talking nonsense, nor is he the only one who thinks that way.

However, your ego and BS are just out of control.