Mouthpiece Questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Flugellover, Sep 13, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    All it takes is one family meeting trying to come in line on advanced directives! And yes today was one of those days! You should have heard me blow my brains out on my horn when I got home today!!!

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    1.25 and a 3 rim switch? Boy..I think you're just asking for chop confusion...but that's just me. Better off just sticking with a 3 rim and switching cups IMO. (Like using a 3b and a 3d, though be careful about how the rim contour/bite changes).

I actually liked the kelly, and it's EXTREMELY comfortable, to me. A bit small though, so see if you can try it first to see how well your lips fit.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Seriously... I know it's hard to believe I can get serious but I can:

It depends on the maturity of the chops. This should not be a problem with well toned lips. I go from a 3C Flip Oaks to a small rim Callet Custom to a Schilke 14a4a, to a Jettone Studio B from piece to piece with no problem. My lips love it.. I can bite through steak with those lips... Gives a chance to rest the teeth. OK... the seriousness ended with that last phrase.

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Isn't your flip oaks the extreme flugel piece?

5. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA

yeah yeah yeah... I will just let you handle this.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    1- NO, you will not get more range than your highest squeak note. A "screamer"type only helps hold the lips when you don't have the strength to do it with your regular mpc. The note maybe a little bit better note but they are thin, screechy notes. 2- Initially, yes, but after a few years you could possibly be able to go back and forth with developed chops.

7. Flugellover

Flugellover New Friend

Dec 20, 2011
    I actually was going to post a third question asking if playing a trombone mouthpiece and switching back to the trumpet would hurt my embouchure any, but figured that this is a trumpet forum and this was kind of covered in question 2.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    An extremely big (and deep) mouthpiece for me. But it sounds so good. If the Kanstul 1526 if butter, the flip oaks is the knife.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Actually, some teachers employ the use of lower brass mpcs for getting the lips to relax. The only way to hurt (damage) your embouchure is with excessive pressure. Switching mpcs can confuse it and make your attacks "spotty" but won't "hurt" it.

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    My flugel piece makes that look like your Jettone :-P

Well really it is my friends, but eventually I'm having it copied, it makes an Eterna sound like a Kanstul