Mouthpiece Questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Flugellover, Sep 13, 2012.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I do my first buzzes of the day on a euphonium mouthpiece

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, I've played a Kelly screamer ... but I didn't enjoy it. I got it for nothing, and sold it for $10.00.

Assessment and evaluation: some can use it well, and some can't. For me, it cut out my second line G and all but messed up a G#. and the second space A.. It's intent, by its name is to reach into the altissimo. For me, it did , but I still find in easier and more comfortable to play such now on my Shilke P5-4 if I've the need for me to be up there, which isn't very often.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

"Capitalist SWINE taking advantage of a poor naive, unsuspecting trumpet player!" Wait a minute! You could be my mayor!!!

[h=2][h=1]Ed Lee (politician)[/h]Appointment as mayor[/h]Under the San Francisco City Charter, vacancies in the mayoral office may be filled by a majority vote of the Board of Supervisors, in which each supervisor is barred from voting for himself or herself.[SUP][10][/SUP] Speculation about possible appointees and debate on whether or not the old Board of Supervisors should cast the vote for the new mayor soon followed after Newsom's election as lieutenant governor. (Four old supervisors were term-limited and four new people were elected in the 2010 election to take their place)

Just kiddin. Hope yer feeling better Ed. Good luck w/everything!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  4. dpritchett

dpritchett New Friend

Aug 26, 2009
    OH,CANADA...eh!
    I just had a laugh out loud moment!!! Funny stuff gmonady! Funny stuff!

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Anybody know what firearm actually had a bell (flare of the barrel)? I certainly wouldn't want one of them to be overloaded with gunpowder, actually not any firearm. Safety first! I too laughed at Gmonady's comment. Betcha he didn't load his Getzen Eterna or Martin Commitee with gunpowder to launch a mouthpiece.

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Known as a Blunderbuss, I had one years ago when I collected firearms, made in the Middle East, Flintlock approx 24" long overall, bore 5/8", flare 2 1/2" dia, a lot of smoke and noise and not very accurate.

Regards, Stuart.

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    So.....we get a Bundy and name it a Bundybuss and use it to launch mouthpieces?

8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I was under the impression that the reduced volume of the cup also made it easier to get a faster airspeed -- is this correct?

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    "Depends" on who you talk to. That maybe true. There are some folks that don't believe in "faster" air. I just speak from what I've observed personally and seen in others. Some makers designs "claim" to give you extra notes due to the support they give you in certain places on your lips. I don't have practical experience with these pieces because I don't have the hundreds of dollars that some of these cost to fool around with them. But, in my experience, I can see where there is legitimacy in these claims. From what I remember reading, reduced volume equals reduced turbulence/resistance so I can easily make the jump to "faster" air. If what I read about Maynard is accurate (who knows?), shallow v-cups with no bite and a huge throat is what he preferred. Did it give him faster air? Whatever it gave him, we like it!!!

10. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    I have a kelly screamer and i don't like it. the lexan plastic has phenominal grip, such that if your embouchure is wrong even only slightly, you'll never get it into the right place without repositioning the mp. range isn't improved for me by this mouthpiece. I think get a decent screamer mouthpiece, the kelly feels like a really wide small rim with not much bite, but too much grip. they really are a waste of money, but thankfully theyre cheap so if you really want to try one you may as well go ahead.