Mouthpiece ring - too much pressure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hardnut, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    I have been playing the trumpet for some time now, and am hoping to take grade 8 next year. Unfortunately, my practising has left a permanent mark from the mouthpiece on my top lip. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and knows of any way to help (but not makeup/ lipstick: I`m a guy!). Thanks!

I assume it is there because I am using too much pressure and any suggestions on how to use less pressure would be fantastic!

Chris.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    My best tip would be is to learn to combine using as much air as possible (yes, even if it leaks out the sides a bit) and practicing very softly at the same time. It'll make a huge difference.

ML

3. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    Thanks for the sugestion! At risk of sounding extremely stupid...how do I do this?

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Did someone say too much pressure???

Like I use??
    [​IMG]

Mine won't ever go away!

-cw-

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The "beating" that the lips take is twofold. A RING as big as the outside diameter of the mouthpiece could be attributed to pressure. The circle-as in Solar Bells picture seems to be the vibrating surface INSIDE the mouthpiece (remember the lips are "compressed" somewhat when playing to increase their density, raising the resonant frequency to the pitches required). That piece of meat takes a real beating. It is the sound generator, reponsible for what we hear. The red is of course, blood flowing through vessels. Bruises from too much pressure hurt-even after a couple of hours rest.
    Warming down after a long night (soft, long tones, low register) seems to help me minimize this.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Well, this picture was right after a 4 set big band gig. Playing lead.

My lips never hurt and the ring is ALWAYS with me, even after a couple days of not playing.

It is not always this red, but you can always tell I play trumpet.

-cw-

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Chuck... if I had a hickey like that I think I'd grow a mustache.

Wait... I DO have a mustache! LOL

8. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    Hehe thanks for the help guys!

Are there any simple steps I can take to try and reduce the amount of pressure I use; I would say that cutting the inside of your lip open on your own teeth is a pretty hefty indication that something needs to be done!

9. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I don't know anyone who plays a lot that does't have a permanent ring on their lips. I was at a Severinsen concert in Dallas years ago and got to go backstage. After the concert Doc walked over to me and said, "so you play trumpet too". I think of the ring as a brand of honor.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Manny had the best self-help tips.
    My students use too much pressure when they try things that they are not ready for. Solving this generally requires outside help. Try and find a teacher that can work with you on this.
    If you use force for range or endurance, it really doesn't matter, there is not enough air moving. Back off on your public performances for a while and work hard on getting your chops together.
    Air is always the # 1, #2 and #3 priority