Mouthpiece ring - too much pressure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hardnut, Sep 6, 2006.

1. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    To a certain extent, the "ring" is just a feature of being a trumpet player, just like a hickey on your neck comes with playing a violin or viola. As long as your lips don't hurt after playing you're probably OK. Manny's tip about practicing softly is right on target, all those Clarke exercises and stuff should be at the posted dynamic level of piano or softer. 10 or 15 minutes of really soft long tones a day can do wonders too.

Michael McLaughlin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Mike, this Einstein's quote is amazing!

"Just put in on the face and press till it hurts." - Maurice Murphy. Don't take the second quote too seriously.

3. limbo

limbo New Friend

Aug 1, 2008
    POOPLAND, CHINA

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  4. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    omg so if u puh hard to your lips will u get a ring? cause my teacher said when u play C, D, E, F and G. you have to pus harder and harder so oyu get the high notes. and it works for me, but i dont wanna get a ring?

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Hitman, the real question is how hard you press. In trumpet playing everything is about balance and efficiency. Playing without pressing at all is almost impossible - actually you can play, but the sound is not most MD would like to hear. So, the basic principle is to play with as little pressure as possible. owever, this heed to be compensated by the work of your chops and your breathing. More details is difficult to provide over the internet - one need to see exactly what you are doing to judge if something is wrong.