Mouthpiece ring...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hardnut, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    I am an aspiring trumpet plyer of 16 years of age. I practice for around 1- 2hours a night, and I have developed a mouthpiece mark on my lips. I was wondering if any of you had had similar problems, and if so, what I could do to fix it; are there any magical products out there designed for this sort of thing?

Thanks, Chris.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Dr. John's "Ring Be Gone" and "Ring Away" by Meads are the two that I can think of.

I noticed that Maynard, Lew Zoloff, Louis Armstrong and many others never used the stuff though.

-cw-

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    There are rings and there are rings. If you're saying that at your young age you have a clear indentation, you need to rethink how much pressure you need to produce a sound.

If you just mean that you have a flattish ring that goes away after a half hour, that's fairly normal. You'll have to use common sense to judge whether it's something that is normal compared to the better players you know. I mean players that can produce beautiful sounds and have excellent endurance.

If trumpet playing for you involves a lot of squeezing, grunting, and and a strong left arm you need to rethink that because that's where your ring is coming from.

ML

4. MadScout08

MadScout08 New Friend

Feb 21, 2006
    Hey man, i am only 18, senior in high school, (and i am sure that because of this fact alone that people wont appriciate my input) but i used to have that same problem. and i mean it was BAD!!! i got really embaressed at school 'cuz it would stay for 1-2 hours. i started rethinking how much pressure it took to really play my horn. it took a little while, and the process was very slow, but the ring slowly went away... it is to the point now were i dont have to think about the pressure that i am using. i have a much greater endurance and a MUCH better tone now that i have made that fix... just my 2 cents

5. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    Thanks for the help guys. I don't think I am using an abnormal amount of pressure; my left arm is fairly lax and I can get Eb 3 only using my right hand...but i still have this permanetn ring. The products that shilke mentioned-where could I buy them?

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hardnut wrote:
    At a Ring and Pinion shop.

Welcome to TrumpetMaster!

You'll have to get used to Schilke B6!

Hey! I just spoke of him in the 3rd person! (I think)

-cw-

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have a ring and it's been there for years. I use moderate pressure. I don't think it's a lot but I guess that is relative. I have heard of people hanging the trumpet from a string and playing. If I were to do that I wouldn't be able to get one note.

8. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Sometimes when I play hard enough and intense enough I may find that I have what I'll call an inner ring. These are the marks that the teeth make on the inside of your lips. Sometimes when my stamina is not where it should be I tend to press harder than I normally would had I had better endurance. I guess I am trying to make up for the endurance I have over the summer months when I am employed as a military musician/big band lead player. But when it gets to the point of forming theses inner rings I try to hold back a bit. I hardly ever get the outer rings any more. It is almost always the insides of the lips. (Then everything kind of clicks into place). Anyone have these kind of problems?

Eric