mouthpiece selection

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by WHISTLEPIGSBAND, Feb 17, 2009.

1. WHISTLEPIGSBAND

WHISTLEPIGSBAND New Friend

Jan 20, 2009
    to solar bell. news to me in 35 years of playing and talking to countless trumpet teachers and professionals, i have never come across that interpretation. that might be a good thing to clear up though. then again, wuts an octave of range to a trumpet player?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  3. WHISTLEPIGSBAND

Jan 20, 2009
    sorry, didnt help at all v.b. evidently the terms double and triple have about an octave of different meanings depending on where u live. so next time i, or anyone says they have a certain range, dont just dismiss them as a liar. u may have some other interepretation of wut that means. in that case, im not rite and u r not rite. lets face it, good players can play 4 ledgers above the staff. extremly gifted players can play 5 or 6 ledgers above the staff. a handfull can go higher. dus that make it easier for you. maybe we should talk in those terms if the subject should come up again

4. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I'm pretty sure you're wrong, but just choose to call it something else. It's like saying ain't. Nobody argues that it's correct and if you do it's a waste of your time.

5. WHISTLEPIGSBAND

Jan 20, 2009
    not really, this issue duz explain a lot of wierd replies that i have read on this site

6. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Go to the store and try different mouthpieces. You'll finding some notes come easier on certian brands and sizes. Asses what kinda of piece you have to play and buy off of that.

Here's my set up:
    Marching -- Bach Megatone 3c, Hammond Design, and IYM
    Jazz -- Vincent Bach 3c
    Concert -- Hammond Design and Vincent Bach 3c

7. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Like this?

[​IMG]

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    RE: trumpets stuffy in the low register.
    I once had a Calicchio 1S7 with an impossible low register. The cure was a Bob Reeves PVA (precision valve alignment). I sold that horn years ago to a friend who treasures it to this day.

9. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    But what do I call the notes if the music isn't in 24/4 time? ROFL

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In an International community such as this, we have adopted certain conventions: one of them involves the naming of pitches; this is intended to reduce confusion. If you wish to speak in terms of ledger lines, fine. A four ledger note above the staff is only a "double g" if you call the c below that (two ledger lines above the staff) a "double c."