mouthpiece similar to bach 3c

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Oct 16, 2010.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I currently play on a bach 3c mouthpiece, and I was wondering if there were other mouthpieces that were similar and worth trying. I'm not looking for a drastic change, but maybe a mouthpiece that would give me a little edge. You're advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    You'll have to define "edge".

What are you looking for that your current 3C isn't giving you?

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Songbook,

Look at my post on 5C versus 3C. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about and looking for. The other posters have in that thread explained everything wonderfully. I think you are in the situation. You like the room of the 3C but want more "bite" to get better sense of the mouthpiece on the lips. There were some recommendations there.

Ooops. I edited this. By "edge" I thought you were referring to the rim of the mouthpiece.... hahaha my bad.

BrotherBACH

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Arturo plays a 3C. I think he sounds "edgy". If I've read his bio correctly, its the only mpc he's ever used. Tread carefully in the "jungle".

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    On a side note, not long time ago Arturo visited Warburton's workshop, where few mouthpieces were designed for him Arturo Sandoval Visits the Factory . Whether he is actually using these instead of his old trusted Bach 3C, I can't tell.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I remember reading this a few years ago. Kind of nebulous as to whether there were any differences in the one made to replace his 3c or if it was just a clone. Thanks for the link.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you like the feel of the 3C rim and cup,but want a change of tonal color,Warburton mouthpieces have interchangable back bores. With this system you keep the same rim and cup but can go darker or brighter,more or less resistance ,depending on the stem/back bore you choose.

8. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Let's not make this about Arturo. It's like saying Superman uses this cape to fly so I should, too. Nonsense, and AS uses the MV3 predominantly, not exclusively and can sound like Chet AND Maynard in one breath. And by edge do you mean bite? Be clear and prosper from the geniuses here online

ed

9. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    A monette B6 Or B6 Slap is a pretty good swap for a 3C as to how it feels on your face. The slap gives you a little more edge without being too nasal.

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    That's not what I wrote, Ed. Sure, Arturo is a great musician, and what is essential here is his practical knowledge of different styles. I was just trying to clarify facts about Arturo. To go back to the original question, the man behind the metal is the dominant factor, not the gear he uses. However, there are few companies using modular mouthpieces systems that can be useful to the OP. Probably the most popular is Warburton.

A cheaper alternative can be Denis Wick size 4 mouthpieces. The C cups of DWs tend to be somewhat shallower than Bach's C cups. However, their flat rims do not suit everyone. Try before you buy.