mouthpiece similar to bach 3c

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Oct 16, 2010.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I guess I should have been a bit clearer. When I say edge I mean I would like a mouthpiece similar to my 3c, that allows me to find the sweet spot faster. It seems I'm always the first one to put the trumpet to my lips, in order to be ready to play. This is done even more so when my first note is fourth note D or higher. Is there a mouthpiece similar to the bach 3c where I can get a better feel on my lips?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Hmm, well that's a little bit of a mental thing - and it isn't a problem for most thing.
    Common Bach 3c "replacements"
    Curry 3C
    Wick 4C
    Schilke 14 (or 15 depending on your face)
    Depending on what you're doing, a stork 3c also might be good (I'd recommend their "pumped" cup)
    Trent Austin's new 3C is a very good mouthpiece
    Monette B6 or B4S (again, depending on how they feel to you)
    AND THE LIST GOES ON!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    AHHHHH. The jungle is getting thicker! :lol:

With your 2nd post, it now appears it's an attack issue and that will only get better with practice, practice, and yes moooooore practice.:play:

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Yes, practice plus some good instruction. Attack problems are often air problems. As Leon Merian used to say "have your air ON!" ready for the tongue to release.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Amen!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I would check out John Lynch and an Asymmetric 3C+544, it is same size as 3C , and has a thick rim - my experience is that it is much easier to play than a straight 3C -- and I believe John offers a money back guarantee anyhow if you don't like it -- they cost bout $70 bucks.
    that's my opinion. and of course whatever you get, practice, practice, practice -- there are no shortcuts to success with the trumpet.

7. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Definately try some of the aforementioned pieces, but "a better feel?" That's totally subjective. One of my favorite players, Bill Lamb ex of Buddy Rich, Tower of Power puts the horn up a second or two before playing. Everytime. Doesn't matter the mpc. Doc Severinsen in an interview mentioned specifically that he used to screw the mpc on his chops for WAY too long before his teacher, Bunny Baker told his to wet his lips, put it up there and blow. Took him a minute to adjust and that was that. Just practice doing it and you'll get it.

ed

8. terrytuner

terrytuner Pianissimo User

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quit playing 30 years ago. Resumed playiny ing a few months ago. Olayed to MP game over and over many years ago (60s). When I resumed my interest a few months ago, I bought a 25-30 vintage H N White which realy has nothing to do with MP selection. I selected a 3C Bach which seems to meet my trumpet needs. My grandaughter (10 yr old) and I began lessons today, Coincidental isn't it? She has the gift and so did her mother. Back to my MP selection for her. I gave her my 7C Bach. What about one for me? I have a 1925-30 vintage HN White trumpet and 1961 White cornet and have I've found that a 3C Bach works well for me when I went down that pathway. I'm old, it's a lot of years since I've played for anything approaching professional, but I'm serious now and I'm improving. What about 7 CW MP or any "CW" designation? MP's are too expensive to experiment.

I play an HN White cornet (61-65) and HN Wite trumpet (25-30) currently and I'm getting getting better!!!

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    So then I go back to my original statement that you really are looking for a 3C with more "bite". That bite gives you the feeling on the lips that you can grip the the MP. I am in the same type of hunt. I get it on my 5c but not my 3c. But, I must admit that the advice you have been given here in this thread is really good because I am getting better on the 3c to the point where the flexibility is almost as good as on the 5c but now I am getting the nice 3c sound. So, practice and get good on the 3c if that is the sound you want.

FYI, I was looking into a Mt Vernon 3C which I read on this forum has more bite.

BrotherBACH

10. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thank you all for taking the time to give me such great trumpet playing advice.