Mouthpiece size, is there a right one?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Jun 14, 2014.

1. trumpetpastor

trumpetpastor New Friend

Aug 2, 2013
    Charlotte North Carolina
    Gxman, I looked at that site as well and found the lips that matched mine the most. The match I found for me was an inner dia. of around 17mm or .670 inches. Coincidentally, those are the inner dimensions of the B2S3 Monette. Hope that helps

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    G,

with your B2S3 you have a mouthpiece as good as it gets, the only thing that you can do hardware wise is to make sure the mp matches the horn, if there is a step at the junction of the leadpipe and receiver measure the gap between this and the end of the mouthpiece, the optimum lies in the region of 0.090" and 0.180" I believe.
    If yours is outside this it may or may not affect the response, Personally I prefer a horn without a step. it removes one variable.

Rather than going on an endless safari for the perfect mouthpiece get an online consultation with a GR consultant, they will fit you to your needs.

What does your teacher say about this?

Regards, Stuart.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I know the Stork site pretty well. John mentions "suffering" in relation to rim width, not cup diameter. He also starts off stating it is a general rule regarding rim width to lip size. There were and always will be exceptions but it is a good starting point.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Asymmetric mpc

5. arielredhunter

arielredhunter Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2014
    Akwesasne, New York
    I used to play my Boston cornet with a so-called Bix Beiderbeck model Conn mouthpiece. That was when I was in my fifties. Now that I'm over 75, I've found that my lips aren't as flexible as they were, so I've settled on a York Weldon Model, which has a vee chamber. and a rounded rim. This works better for me now. Oh yes, I'm now playing a Frank Holton #29 cornet. I also knocke out three of my front teeth when a boomer pipe slipped on an ice encrusted winch when I was loading aluminum logs on my truck in the winter time. Wow. Did that smart?

6. arielredhunter

arielredhunter Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2014
    Akwesasne, New York
    So I also had to create a new embrouchure where I still have front teeth. That is pretty hard for me to do.

7. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I am sure there must be a right one, the problem is finding it.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    [​IMG]