mouthpiece size

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by nibb-1, Oct 29, 2010.

1. nibb-1

nibb-1 New Friend

Oct 27, 2010
    Hi i bourght my first secondhand trumpet with a 7c mouthpiece made by elrham.I am a first time player and understand that everyones lips are diffrent sizes. And would like to know if any one hase a gide or rule of thumb to slecting the size of mouthpiece needed.I also understand that a 7c is a good alround mouthpiece to start with.Any help would be helpful:duh:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    7C is a good starter mouthpiece. Stick with it for an year or 2 to get the basics mechanics of playing under your belt and only when you decide if you want to do something more specific you may need a teacher to help you pick up another mouthpiece if needed. However, I am not suggesting that till then it would be a good idea to learn the trumpet on your own...

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    a 7C is what everyone (usually) starts out with --- it will work fine --- don't get caught up in mpc and pro trumpets --- you will know in 2 or so years if you want a change --- otherwise the 7C is just fine. practice, practice, practice will make the 7C comparable to any other mpc (in range and sound)

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    yes, its what most people start out on.