Mouthpiece slips down longer I play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cornetguy, Oct 8, 2005.

1. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    HI all

What can one do to prevent this the longer I play at a time the mouthpiece placement starts to slip down. (some history through grade school and part of high school I played really low and never really completely go it corrected until a graduate student)

There are times where I cant break up practicing into bits at a time.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'd like you to experiment with something; do you mind?

Go grab the Arban's and go to page 148. Instead of playing sixteenths, play as dotted rhythms, like dotted 16ths and 32nds. Play relatively slowly. Instead of breathing orally as we would normally do, hold the mouthiece in position and breathe as long as you can nasally. The exception is the very first breath which should be taken orally. Do the entire exercise after you're about 3/4 of the way warmed up. When you're done with the whole page go to 125 and do the whole page the same way.

Let me know next Saturday if it's better.

ML

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Have tried the above, it seems that the mouthpiece isnt slipping down, but the lower jaw is moving in causing the lower lip to roll in more which... and creats the illusion that the mouthpiece is slipping down. That usually has happened at the end of the intervals.

The exercise is a burn creator.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You got it, amigo! Let's strengthen those muscles further by adding page 44 to what you've been doing. Rest sensibly between each exercise.

ML

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was a sophomore in high school. Play for 10 minutes, down went the mouthpiece. Sometimes right off the top lip.
    It baffled my trumpet teacher and every trumpet player he knew in Chicago and he knew everybody, from the the CSO on down.
    He gave me very similar exercises you have been given and they worked, but you would never imagine what was at the root of the problem. I had just moved up to an Olds Recording model, you know, the "balanced" one. It turns out that horn was absolutely wrong for me and because of its unusual placement of the valves, after a short time, I was allowing the horn to tilt down which ended up tilting mouthpiece downward and sliding off my top lip. The tilting was so slight no one could see it and I wasn't aware I was doing it at all. The exercises worked, but one day in a lesson, I asked if I could try the teachers Selmer K-Modified. Instantly. the slipping stopped entirely!!
    The result was the Recording went in trade for a new K-Modified. My playing took off immediately and the slipping never happened again.
    Many folks love those Olds Recording horns and for good reason, but I absolutely hate them and every time I try one, I play it for 10 seconds and hand it right back. It is still awkward for me to hold and I think they are just plain ugly, no matter how nice they actually do sound. I suppose I'll catch it for saying that but that's they way I feel about them.
    Anyway, do what Manny has told you. It has already begun helping you and it certainly put me on the right track, too. .
    Good luck and keep practicing.
    Rich Tomasek