Mouthpiece to lips, how often do you relax and reset?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by catello, Jun 22, 2015.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Interesting question. I probably keep mine set in place longer than most during rests because I play with the "dry, grip" method vs. the wet slippery method. Like to know everything is in place before the passage starts. However, I was playing in front of a guy who played lead for both BB circus and the Ice Follies. The only comment about my playing he made is I need to immediately relax the embashure on rests. He seemed to think that relaxing helped endurance, even micro rests.

2. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    The Caruso stuff is practice room only, not for playing

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is a highly variable timing or function. I usually readjust after each phrase, so it depends on the phrase. But it is good to replace a set point often to prevent muscle from fatiguing. I mean if you lay in bed in one position too long, stress ulcers begin to happen.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In terms of setting the embouchure, my answer is a question: How long does it take to fire a gun?

5. dcpritchett

dcpritchett Pianissimo User

Jan 20, 2015
    Central FL
    I think removing the horn to a rest position when possible has benefits. It allows relaxation of arms and shoulders. It allows the neck to relax and increased blood flow to the lips.