Mouthpiece trouble!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ca5tr0, Dec 23, 2010.

1. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    I recently purchased a Parduba 7 mouthpiece. I have found 2 things that have really made an impact.One is that the lower and middle register is amazing. Two is that my high range disappeared. I could play an A over high C on my schilke 14A4 and now on the Parduba I can barely play a high C. The schilke mouthpiece has been bored out twice, and a clearly visable difference in bores is visible. Could it be that the Parduba is giving me trouble because I can't put enough air through? Or could it be because of the double cup?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The transition to a Parduba mpc is NOT instant. A range change is expected. However, with diligence and practice expected range can be achieved. For years I played a 4.5 HJ model, and although I do not believe the new Akright is the same as the original Parduba, in my comeback I made do with the Akright and maybe excelled my earlier performance. Still, the consensus among trumpeters seems to be that some love them and others hate them. I'm not among the latter.

3. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    Yeah, I figured that, but such a drop in range was disappointing. I will continue to use the Parduba. Thank you, at least I know it can be fixed. Also, would it be wise to bore out the Parduba?

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Hell no, it wouldn't be wise. They are quite specialized.

What might be wise is playing a 6, as your 7 is larger than your Schilke. Or, try the vintage ones, but those're a crapshoot as well.

Tom

5. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    Not sure if this is relavent or not, but I used to play a Schilke 14a4a as my main MP for years. When I changed to a Bach 3C, it took me a full year to regain the range I had on the Schilke. Just my experience!

6. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    Yeah, it think a 6 would have been better. The 7 was supposedly around the same size as my schilke, but as soon as I put it to my chops, I felt the difference. I'm going to play this one for a while, and if it's just not what I need I'll sell it and keep looking.
    Thanks guys for the info.

7. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Why bother switching? Why not stick with the schilke 14A4 if that's what works for you?

I think some people change mouthpieces more often than they change underwear...

8. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    Asher s- The schilke is what has worked best so far, but it lacks in many things such as comfort. I think that I might just end up selling the Parduba and purchasing another schilke or two, different sizes of course. Schilke is a mouth piece I am very familiar with. It is easier to understand sizing than other mouthpieces. I might just get my 14A4 Gold plated to add some cushion.

9. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I'm sorry you are saying the Schilke works for you but is uncomfortable. Yet you are able to play an A 4 ledgers lines and a space above the staff. What can be so uncomfortable about something that works that well? Why mess with the success that you have with the Schilke?

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Might be worth trying the Schilke 14.

Tom