Mouthpiece trouble!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ca5tr0, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Where in Florida? If you follow Rowuk's advice I can probably recommend someone.

2. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Obviously, the word "friendly" has different meanings to different people.
    As far as mouthpieces go, if you can't try before you buy, then try to buy used. If it doesn't work out, you can get most of your money back on ebay. Of course, this works better with mouthpieces than brunettes.

ca5tr0 likes this.
  3. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Only when I don't learn something new.

ca5tr0 likes this.
  4. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Great response!:thumbsup:

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Seriously? What did this thread teach you? I mean, really - what was presented in this thread that you didn't already know?

I guess the issue I have is that there is an attitude that is pervasive, particularly in American society, where people think that there is some kind of external, quick-fix solution to their troubles, hence the reason that there are so many threads about finding the right mouthpiece or the right horn. Many of these threads come from kids who are not yet at a place from a developmental perspective where a different mouthpiece or horn is the answer. All too often the real answer is hard work and dedication to the instrument, working on improving the fundamentals with patient, diligent practice on THE EQUIPMENT THEY ALREADY HAVE. (Which should be basic, middle of the road gear, IMO.)

But they don't want to hear that. That isn't nearly as interesting as keeping hope alive that there is some kind of "magic bullet" trumpet or mouthpiece they can buy that is going to be a quick fix and solution to the issues that are usually rooted in weak chops development stemming from trying to put the cart in front of the horse, creating unnecessary variables with additional gear, rather than zeroing in on the issues in their fundamentals. This isn't always the case and there are things that will help a player, but when I see a thread that talks about someone using a twice drilled Schilke 14A4 and switching to a Parduba 7, and then wondering why they are having problems (could it be two completely different sizes of mouthpieces with completely different concepts on rim and cup shape?) it makes me raise my eyebrows is all.

/rant

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  6. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    I never said that I learned anything from this thread, only that I get tired of them, when I don't learn anything. Though I happen to agree with you, that the average student player should probably play on a middle of the road horn and mouthpiece, for quite a long time.

7. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    I hate to contradict, but before the schilke mouthpiece was bored out, my tone, intonation, and attacks were horrible. I am a player that puts more air through a mouthpiece than normal, so boring the mouthpiece out was necessary. My tone was fuzzy and inconsistent, my intonation was never consistent, and my tounging and starts were pretty bad. The reason I stuck with the mouthpiece was because the higher register was more comfortable on it than on any other mouthpiece I owned. I play on a Shilke X3 as my primary horn. The problem with my schilke mouthpiece is that the bite on it is too harsh. Other than that, I love it. My hole is not too deep, and I agree that professional help is needed, but only as a guide and not to fix some major problem. My chops are strong and flexible. This Parduba is just not what I expected it to be on the first time to my lips.

I know You and many other people here are experts and have much more experience than I do, but you guys have to remember that every player is a little different than the one before him. Sometimes things aren't as bad as you think, yet you jump to drastic conclusions.

8. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    I live in Hardee county Florida.