Mouthpiece Troubles

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Matt G, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Matt G

Matt G New Friend

Feb 17, 2005
    Iowa
    I've been playing for about seven years now and have recently started to find the mouthpiece thats right for me, but frankly im just baffled. I think my main problem is I just don't know what to look for when trying out a mouthpiece, because I simply cant tell the differance between one size and another. I know that I want a Monette, but once again they all feel the same. So any advice that anybodies willing to give would be great.

2. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Could you start by telling us about the experiences you've had with certain mouthpiece sizes in the past?
    Anything you liked?
    If not, was something close in some way?
    What kind of playing to you do (or want to do)?

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Contact Bruce Lee at Northernbrass.com .

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Matt,

What kind of room are you in when you compare the mouthpieces? Are you in a lively room with reasonable acoustics or are you in a rug-incased practice room or siome such other small room. I'm at a loss as to how you can't hear the differences between two mouthpieces that are substantially different. Or are we talking about mouthpieces that have very subtle differences?

Can you provide a bit more info?

ML

5. Matt G

Matt G New Friend

Feb 17, 2005
    Iowa
    currently I am playing on a Monette C3 and it just dosent feel right for some reason, though I like the way it feels when I play. I used to play on anywhere from a Bach 1, 1.25, 1.5, to a 7c because I've never really had any guidance on this sort of subject. As for the type of playing that I want to do I really like playing in symphonic and orchestral settings, though I rarely get the chance (because I'm still in high school). I have to have something for all around playing until I get into college and can focus on something a little bit more, well focused. Then to Manny, since I'm in a high school that dosent really appreciate the arts, I end up playing werever I can, which can be anywhere from a small carpet filled office to a good sized auditorium on any given day. Maybe I exagerated a little when I said that I cant tell the difference completely, I can tell the difference between a 1c and a 7c but after that I'm lost. I also think that I may have a problem because I dont have anyone to listen to me and give me advice about what to corect and what sort of equipment to use and that sort of thing. Well I hope this helps figure something out

Thanks,
    Matt

6. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Matt,
    You can't do much better than the C3 that you already have, given the variety of situations one has to play in during high school.
    (Obviously, the small change to a C4 might help, but do you have enough reason to? The C4 makes your sound a little farther from symphonic.)

Could the problem be in your practicing?
    Are you practicing enough (this is all relative, of course)?
    Do you warm up carefully?
    Are lip slurs and long tones a part of your routine?
    What about the horn that you are blowing air from that C3 into?
    Is it a lemon horn? A student horn? Too small a bore horn?
    Is there a gap problem (receiver to end of mouthpiece)?

Do you have a clear idea in your head of what you want to sound like?
    Listening to Mr. Laureano, Herseth, Smith, etc.?

Just trying to take the focus off the mouthpiece, and suggest some other possible problems. Not trying to confuse you.