mouthpiece??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by longmvu, Jun 11, 2011.

1. longmvu

longmvu New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    what mouthpiece should i get for beiginer? i have a bundy trumpet it a bt-300

2. longmvu

longmvu New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    am also a beginner

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    The "standard" starting mouthpiece probably recommended by 80% of all band directors and "required" by over half of them is the Bach 7C mouthpiece. It can be found in bout any music store that sells horns, and on E bay. If you buy on eBay be sure to get a Bach 7C. - not an off brand copy that says 7c for Bach. I' m sure you will get a few other posts recommending other mouthpieces - just realize the 7c is THE most recommended for beginners. When I was a kid, I remember having to go get a Bach 7c because the horn we bought had another mouthpiece and the band director wanted a 7C. Same with my students when I was teaching band - and with my son 3 years ago at his local school.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Find a store that will let you try several mouthpieces, then find the one that fits you. Just like buying a pair of shoes. A 7C is small and a good place to start if you are in elementary school or junior high. A 5C and a 3C are good also.
    You might contact Trent Austin and get his input as well.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    One that gives the beginner a good tone.

I agree with the post above. Go to a store that will let you sample, start with a mid-range rim 7C works, and go up and down on rim size, then go for depth size, and choose the one that is 1) Most comfortable and 2) Is easiest at giving you the most open tone.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Use a Bach 7C --- it has worked for so many beginners for several decades -- and that can't be all that bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps - if you don't have a teacher -- then you should probably get one to get you started on the "sort of correct" route. Later on after you learn the basics of trumpet playing you will have to learn stuff on your own --- but a teacher will be beneficial in getting you up and running (in my opinion)

7. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    When I was a kid it was 7c, 5c, then Schilke 14 at about 16 years old, then I went crazy with 101/2 c for lead and the 14 for concert band.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Agree fully with the Standard is a Bach 7C. It is a good starting reference, and I know good players who have never changed from it. Band Directors and teachers know where to go with it as well.

Start there with the Bundy, it would have come standard with the horn when sold new, and when sold today as standard for student horns.

Cheers

9. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    It's true that most people start on a (Bach) 7C mp but I am not sure that that is a very good idea.
    I have several Bach, Benge, Yamaha and so on 7C's from different era's.
    The recent Bach 7C has (for me) a very sharp inside rim that will not serve flexibility as a rule.
    What's worse, the 7C's tend to be quite deep mp's, much deeper than the 3C's I own.
    For a beginner I strongly believe it's better to start on a less deep mp like the 7D or the Yamaha 11B4.

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA