mouthpiece??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by longmvu, Jun 11, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    It doesn't matter what the starting age of the player is,they're still a beginner and really can't tell what size mouthpiece is best for them. A 7C isn't a small mouthpiece, but it is a mid. sized one.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree. As Al said, "... a beginner really can't tell what size mouthpice is best for them...."

So IMHO, I'd go with the Bach 7C. Alternatively, if you have a teacher, you can pick a mouthpiece with the help of your teacher.

+1

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and Doctor you should check out this thread
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/embrasure-development-61656.html

OR we should start our own thread -- to determine an answer --- does playing a wind instrument that offers resistance increase lung capacity or lung efficiency????

sorry to hi-jack this thread -- but gmonady OR I would like a 2nd opinion!!
    Thanks Doc -- and please don't charge exhorborant consulting fees like the other guyROFLROFL

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
  6. bogart

bogart New Friend

Mar 22, 2009
    Port Huron, Mich
    If you can find a Bach 7CW thats also a good mouthpiece to start with

7. Fishgun

Fishgun Pianissimo User

Sep 26, 2009
    Do not fall for the 7C myth. This is one of the most egregious myths in the trumpet world. You may end up with a 7C after finding the proper fit for you and that will be fine. If a 7C fits all is well. However, it may not fit. You could spend a lot of time spinning your wheels trying to make an ill fitting mpc work. Find an instructor who can fit you properly. Even at that it will be a work in progress. As you develop you may well need to change. Again, stay in touch with a qualified instructor to help you monitor the situation.

My kids (9 and 11) both play and neither one has a 7C. The 11 year old plays a 10 1/2C and the 9 year old plays a Jet Tone Al Hirt C (70's era). They fit, they work and both kids' play is outstanding.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thank you, well stated and I totally agree. Brings back old memories as well as my first mouthpiece was a 10 1/2C. The answer is simple, the mouthpiece to start on is the one that gives you the best sound when you are starting out.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    IF, and it is a big IF, you have an instructor that has access to a number of mouthpieces and can work with you over several days to determine the best, the the 7C myth is true. Obviously, following your instructors advice is the best move. If you have never made a sound on a trumpet and you are told to show up for a lesson and your instructor or you do not have access to multiple mouthpieces to try, getting a Bach 7C is a good starting point. I think the latter situation is more of the norm. Not everyone has a music store down the block that will let them try mouthpieces or access to various pieces to try. In addition, most beginners may be lucky to get a sound out of the horn, yet alone differentiate between a 7C, 3 or 10 1/2c. The 7c is a medium " nonspecialized" mouthpiece that almost anyone should be able to get a sound out of. Is it going to be the best fit? Probably not. But sfine tuning can occur once you are out of the beginner stage -- just like selecting the " perfect" horn. Otherwise, you show up for your lesson and end up blowing on the lead pipe.