Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Nov 3, 2013.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi have something unusual happen to.meI have 2 Cornets that I play occasionally usually when I am cleaning my trumpet. So they...don't get play to often lets say very little anyway I opened the case of one horn and notice that the mouthpiece looked dark I then checked the other case same thing the case has 2 mouthpieces and both dark at first I though the plating wore off but one of them is a brand new Dennis Wick 4W (great m.p.I must say)Anyway could it just be tarnished cause of the silver plate? Any one know? Anthony

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Get a good non-abrasive metal polish like Flitz, for example, and polish the tarnish away with a cotton ball. To remove the tarnish from your fingers afterward if you didn't use nitrile gloves, use Fast Orange Hand Cleaner (available at Autozone). For maintenance, wipe down the mouthpiece each time you put it back in the case with a good polishing cloth like Goddard's, which helps protect against recurring tarnish.

3. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Yup! Perfect reply. This cloth and others like it are great to have around especially if you have a mpc collection. Imagine that a trumpet player with more than one mouthpiece! :roll: Personally... I just use a silver friendly polishing cloth (no extra chemicals) and wipe down my mpc every time I put it away AND use a Q-tip to wipe out the throat and drill also at the end of the day. Doing this regularly avoids any calcium or crud build-up and eliminates the need to use a mpc brush during your annual, monthly or weekly cleaning.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I do the same thing, too.

5. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks guys one other thing does the salt and aluminum foil trick work for cleaning mouthpieces too? Thanks Anthony