Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Feb 17, 2016.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi had laser surgery last week doctor told me not to play for a week, then I have to Hi back for other eye so then I guess its two weeks no trumpetCause he told me trumpet would put pressure on eye.I forgot to ask is playing mouth piece only ok. I am going to see him Monday 5 day s from now. Anyone know if m.p.can cause pressure on eyes? Anthony

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    When I had my cataract done (both eyes in one week), the doc told me not to play while the cover was still on, and not to overdo it on the first few days. But I was doing long low tones the day after surgery.
    The doc also told me that for cataract operations, the skill of the surgeon lies in making only the tiniest opening to insert the new lens. And the smaller the aperture, the earlier you can return to trumpet, because the smaller the aperture, the less impact pressure has on the eye.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    If you don't do what the doctor tells you to, you are a fool who has been soon parted from his money.

Tom

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Is this to avoid pressure in your tear ducts, or something else, do you know?

I'm mainly fine with a trusted doctor telling me what to do, but am finer when I know why they recommend something. It may be obvious ("don't play football using that broken ankle") but other instructions may be less so ("avoid cinnamon for two weeks following physio"[SUP]*[/SUP]).

--bumblebee

[SUP]*[/SUP]This is a made-up example and IANAD

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I don't remember having any trumpet restrictions after lasik. I had 4 days off, but any more than that and my command wouldn't have allowed me to have the surgery! Still seeing 20/15 12yrs later!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    With cataract removal and implanted lenses I walked away from the hospital each time within an hour. A week after the second eye, I was practicing. Everyone is different. Mine was due to aging. It was likewise for my wife.

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A short break of even 4 weeks does not destroy all process made. I had another type of surgery 2 years ago and was off for 3 months. It took six months to really get back to my old form, but I made it. Laying off for a while can also have benefits. A fresh start can revitalize many things in life!

9. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009

Thank you Rowuk I appreciate as always your advice Anthony