mouthpieces for pressure players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Jan 5, 2011.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I was just wondering if there were mouthpieces out there better suited for those of us who use to much mouthpiece pressure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---
    No!
    Do this.
    >Play a soft (around middle C) long tone on the trumpet and when you put the mouthpiece against the lips, just use enough pressure to create a seal.
    >Next, remove the tuning slide and play the same soft pitch.
    >Now, while playing that soft pitch, slowly press the mouthpiece against the lips. What happened? The pitch went up as you pressed and went down as you eased up on the pressure, right? If not you are already pressing too hard.
    >Next, do the same thing but this time use the corners of the lips to raise and lower the pitch. Those are the muscles you want to use. Not the bicep muscles.
    We never totally get rid of mouthpiece pressure. We learn to come to terms with it and to control it.
    Please read Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment.
    Hope this helps.

3. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain

this is good advice. pushing does NOT help your playing. you want to be able to play higher or louder or whatever? work your way through the Arban Cornet method, dont cheat yourself.

4. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thank you Markie for your reply. It's true my range improved with the tightening of my outer lip, but I found I also had to use more air from my diaphragm.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    That would be a good thing, in my humble opinion.

6. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I'm just glad no one proposed a mouthpiece that detected pressure and applied a brief electrical shock to the player.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ----
    Air is of great importance for trumpet players. Controlling your breathing can best be explained by typing in:
    Rowuk's Circle of Breath
    Urban Agnas Youtube "Flow"
    You will find these two sources very helpful.
    Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. Just be aware when you're using too much mouthpiece pressure. If you're playing and you notice you are, stop, blow out the lips like a horse, take a drink of water, and reset the mouthpiece on the lips. We never get rid of mouthpiece pressure. We learn to control it.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    --
    For some, I don't think brief would be enough.
    However, if ECT isn't to your liking, there's also a device called a Mouthpiece Pressure Adapter. It teaches low-pressure playing. A valve inside the device opens when too much pressure is used, allowing the air to escape before it reaches the instrument and is adjustable. [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif]
    Osmun.com
    Your Price: $145.00 / Each
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

9. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    OK, I'm also guilty of using too much pressure at times, despite 60 years of trying. But there are mouthpieces available which make the situation a bit less painful while you're working on learning how to make do with minimal pressure. The old Giardinelli "F" (flat) rims were like that, and good reproductions of them are available in 2-piece models from Kanstul.

10. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I'll try using all these great tips. Thanks again for your input.