mouthpieces for pressure players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Jan 5, 2011.

1. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    Intriguing! $145 seems a bit steep, but it might be a good idea for teachers and schools to have one of these around!

(Less complicated than an electric shock, too.)

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    To answer your post, a Schilke 8A4 worked for me back when I used the octave key too much.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A good exercise from John Glasel for reducing pressure:

Play a long tone, and while doing so reduce pressure; it will start to sound "bad." With this same pressure, do whatever it takes with the chops to make it sound "better" (not perfect or normal). In a short time you should notice some muscles being worked (a big ring or circle around the mouth.)

This will allow us to train some muscles that don't normally get worked; when somewhat in shape it should require somewhat less pressure to play.

As to mouthpieces, the biggest killer for those of us who use pressure is the bite of the rim. Many Bach mouthpieces have a sharp bite, which can help the cleanliness of our attack, but act like a cookie-cutter on our lips when we press. A flatter yet rounder rim will allow more pressure with less pain. Hope this helps!

Good luck!

4. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Vulgano Brother, your decription of that cookie cutter fits me to a tee. I happen to use a bach 3c. I don't quite know what you mean by a flatter yet rounder mouthpiece. Can you list some mouthpieces I might try. Thanks!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Any metal mouthpiece is fine for pressure players. Just apply 110v and the pressure goes away.

I think the cure for pressure is to eliminate a stupid habit and not throw money at a band aid. I know that keeping a mouthpiece is a tough concept for the weak.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

A Bach 3C is a great mouthpiece --- saying that -- I switched to an Asymmetric 3C+544 (which has a huge flat rim for the bottom lip) --- aside from that ---- it is easier to play softly, learn to use less pressure, learn to play the low notes below the staff down to low F#, clearly --- that will certainly require relaxed lips.

And I am betting it takes a few weeks/months to retrain your lips mind and hands to reduce pressure -- but that is purely my opinion.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I own one and I like having it around for students. It does work but its only a mechanism to show the student that they are using too much pressure. Once the person truely gets the hang that controlling the pressure is important, the device is rarely needed.
    It is a good learning device.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bach, Curry, Marcinkiewicz, Monette, Reeves, Schilke, and Warburton
    have all made comfy rims that work for me (The Curry's have custom rims, because the stock ones will cut your lips off quicker than the original Mt. Vernon Bach models will!) and with Bach I liked the 1-1.5 sizes best, so most my mouthpieces are in that size range. My Reeves and Curry's would correspond more to the Bach 5 range.

I started using the somewhat smaller diameters because while in Germany I was playing in a quintet that involved the horn being on the face for a long period of time, and the usual freelance gig involved a rehearsal with a meal pause before the concert--when playing principal in Orff's Carmina Burana or Bach's Weihnachts Oratorium twice in one day the mouthpiece did help.

Good luck, and have fun!

9. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thank you once again for sharing your knowledge on mouthpiece pressure and mouthpieces in general. In my case, because of the amount of pressure I use , shallow cup mouthpieces do me no good at all. Talk about no endurance. Because I practice so much, I can still play a g just above the staff even after playing for hours. If I didn't use so much pressure I know my range would surely improve. So instead of trading in my old reliable bach 3c, I'll try to eliminate as much mouthpiece pressure as possible. Old habits are hard to break. I guess at 65 I'm lucky to be playing at all. I sure would love to hit a clean high g before I pack it in.