Mouthpieces or teeth guards for overbite??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a1trumpetman, Feb 20, 2009.

1. a1trumpetman

a1trumpetman New Friend

Jan 8, 2009
    I have an overbite of about 1/4" top teeth over bottom.
    I cant seem to get a comfortable feeling of the mouthpiece. Recently I saw a Horn player place a "plastic" thing into his mouth, or over his teeth and was wondering if this was some kind of a filler.

I am 71 and recently came back to playing the trumpet after 50 years. I do not remember having this problem before.

Maybe I'M overreacting, but any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Ron

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome back to the trumpet!

Those plastic things are common for people with braces, and of my students with braces about half showed improvement.

Lots of folk have overbites and angle their horns down as a result, or thrust out their lower jaw to hold the trumpet straight. 50 years is a long time for a layoff, so don't be surprised if things seem different than before.

Have fun!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    overbite is only a problem if you can't stop thinking about it. Normally you point the horn slightly down to keep the pressure off of the upper lip and are good to go. I wouldn't mess with anything.

4. a1trumpetman

a1trumpetman New Friend

Jan 8, 2009
    Thanks
    I appreciate the fast reply. I am expecting too much after a long
    layover. I was really good and I guess I expected everything to be as it was. Thanks, I'll relax and just enjoy playing again.
    I had 4 kids in 5 years and worked at 2 jobs. Had no time to practice

Take some advice, dont ever stop playing.

Ron

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    How much of your bottom teeth do you see when you "bite" you teeth together? When do this my top teeth come all the way down to the gum line of my bottom teeth. You can't see my bottom teeth. When I play my jaw come forward so that I play with only a slight downward tilt. It's never been a problem.

6. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    Although you seem to have resolved your problem, I would like to throw in that I have a bit of an overbite as well, and play my horn comfortably at a 90 degree angle.