Mouthwash bad for the chops?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Apr 7, 2009.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    The past couple of days I've constantly had a horrible lip (that'll happen to me sometimes, but day after day of a bad lip is unusual for me). Today I've figured out a potential reason. The past couple of days I've started using mouthwash in the morning (it used to be just at night), and I realized that mouthwash might have a numbing affect (like oragel). I don't know for sure if this is the problem. Would you guys recommend I stop the mouthwash or do you think this isn't the cause of this problem?

By the way, I've also had a pretty good sized crack in my lip (on the inside), but it's almost healed and was quite a bit worse 1-2 weeks ago, but I had a really good lip then. I don't think this could be the problem, it really hasn't seemed to affect my playing.

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Alcohol based mouthwash is bad news for gums and cheek linings; you didn't mention if you were using one with alcohol, but I'd quit if this is the type you're using.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I use mouthwash daily and it has never bothered me. Possibly it's the brand. You might want to try changing mouthwash brands.

4. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Listerine is bad for my chops. Dentyl (I think that's what it's called) is better.

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    My mother used mouthwash for a while.
    It killed all the natural bacteria in her mouth,
    and fungius stuff probably started growing instead,
    since she got cracks in her mouth.

The cracks in your lips might just come from that . . .

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We can never rule out the effects of alcohol or other disinfectants. I have never heard of this though. I use Listerine daily (half a glass of water and a squirt). 30 years of no problems. Never had a student with a mouthwash issue either.

ALCOHOL is another issue. It didn't wipe the students chops out, but the brain, marriage, job and a bunch of friendships.....................................

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I avoid salty food and toothpaste (although I do use a wetted toothbrush) before trumpet goes on face. Probably 'psychomological' but it works for me.

8. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    I have to disagree. I find toothpaste makes a wonderful chip dip.:lol:

There are a lot of scary reports about alcohol based mouthwashes, if you google it. Who knows what will come up 40 years from now regarding alcohol substitutes as well as sugar substitutes.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Bachstul,

Interesting you should raise that, try this quick link re aspartame (one of the ingredients in products like diet soft drinks (diet soda, if you will).

Don't Drink the Diet Coke

Toothpaste IS useful, it is good for polishing teeth, valves, copper bells, and scratches on windscreens, but I avoid internalizing it or applying it to my chompers before a gig. (And I don't EVER drink diet soft drinks). :huh:

10. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    So, sugar will gunk up the valves, salt will corrode everything but the valves, and aspartame causes head trouble. I'm having enough trouble cutting down on coffee, right now. The new sugar substitute in gum is sorbitol. I guess I'll have to research that one.