Movember

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Oct 31, 2012.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    This may sound like a silly concern. I have been asked to be on a Movember team and grow a mustashe, and I think for fun I will grow one like Frank Zappa who unfortunately succumb to prostate cancer. I am the type of player who must be clean shaven. I like and need to feel the contact of the rim on my skin. In fact, I shave and brush my teeth before every practice, which is why my wife calls the trumpet my mistress. I can not imagine playing with a mustashe although some of my trumpet heros did. Do players with facial hair find a way to move it aside so that the mouthpiece actually make contact with the skin, or mostly makes contact?

BrotherBACH

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I play about 1/3 top lip, 2/3 bottom lip and have no problem with my moustache. The mouthpiece contacts the lip only - the hair is above it.

[​IMG]

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Mine gets under the rim and inside the cup but it's never bothered me. Since I've had facial hair ever since it grew, I guess it would feel odd to play without it!

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I've never had a problem getting the mouthpiece on my chops underneath my mustache.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  5. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Last year, I grew a beard for movember as well, and this year too, but it never bothered me in my playing, since I don't have hair growing on my lips :lol:.

I think it won't be an issue to your playing, it might feel weird in the beginning, but it vertainly doesn't make your playing better or worse.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I have a mo (had it nearly 40 years, and I'd say it does not bother me at all for mouthpiece placement, I don't think I do anything special or am even conscious about it. It is a neat one, but can bet a bit long at times. I usually trim it for looks, more than anything to do with mouthpiece. BTW The Trom mpce has the majority of the mo in it.

In my 20's I used to shave the mo off for 3 months of the year, and grow a full beard for 3 months (for Tuna fishing season), and go with the mo for the other 6 months.
    My wife was not a Mo fan when we first started going out, but when I went to shave it off, she objected... so she prefers me with the mo - it helps to hide my ugly mug I suppose.

Just concentrate on your tone, the mo will only feel "funny" for a few days until you get used to the feel.

I shaved mine off in early September for some surgery, and never noticed anything different for trumpet playing.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm not sure if I'm obligated to post a pic of my mustache before I can reply. :-)

I've had a mustache for 30+ years. My mouthpiece rests on some of the hair on my upper lip, but I don't find it a problem. I did shave off my mustache about a year ago, and felt that I could grip the mouthpiece better. But the feeling was temporary.

Mike

8. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks guys. It will be interesting for sure. I do like the picture!

BB

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I've had mine since the early '70's. I just trim mine so it's a "Hair" above the lip. Wife won't let me shave it off, says I look too baby faced without it:roll::lol::oops:

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I keep mine trimmed just on the boundary between lip and face ("not lip") and it's fine.

--bumblebee