Movember

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I hate even having a days growth between my face and my gob iron so Movemeber is out for me although I wholeheartedly support the movement

2. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    I must state that I am not an authority on playing with facial hair, as nature has not gifted me with that particular issue due to my gender. However, my first band director was a trumpet player with a mustache and disliked having the hair in the way. He shaved a neat semicircle in the center...just a notch and barely noticeable. It worked for him and even in the '70's it wasn't weird. He claimed that most trumpet players did this and maybe they did in the early '70's.

3. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I keep my 'stache short enough that it isn't a factor in my playing. However, my soul patch probably is as the rolled in lower lip raises the patch far enough that the mpc rests on it. I think it provides a nice cushion there.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I double on bone occasionally and it feels different but I can still play. It's not been an issue for me and I've had facial hair longer than I've been on my "comeback". I do know a bone player that trims the center out and it looks weird. No one will tell him and I don't know him well enough to say anything. Mention his name and his "O"stache is the 1st topic!

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Harry had a mustache ... what's your problem? Too much mouthpiece on upper lip? Well, when I had a mustache, a beard, and hair longer than my shoulders I wasn't playing, but it was good "cover" ... still the best part was that then I had hair, as now has been vanishing in the last many years.

6. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    My "problem" Ed is that I have never had a tache and even a days growth is uncomfortable. I wouldn't know how to start to look after it to keep it away from the areas where I have contact with on the edges of my lips. I have a lot of growth in the corners of my mouth which feel sharp when I am playing if they are not shaved off. As for mouthpiece position remember I play an asymetric so you know where my set is

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

You have to push through the pain! :roll:

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Andrew, now that I'm retired I'll sometimes skip my shaving until my wife tells me to do or no *** or kisses. I have made it to 4 days without shaving only because I was in the hospital and unable to ...

Never has such been cause to affect my playing IMO.

9. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Well as documented my other half is my horn and really I am slave to her and I she says I feel uncomfartable playing then that's it I have to shave. If I'm honest with never having a tache and feeling uncomfortable with a days growth I almost daren't

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    according to the Movember.com website -- they have MoSista's
    "During Movember, Mo Bros become walking, talking billboards for men's health. Movember's female participants, known as Mo Sistas,......"

I knew this chick once who had a "noticeable" mustache of sorts -- so I NICELY said "you would look much prettier if you shaved that hair off your top lip" --- anyways this is just and FYI
    guys -- you might NOT WANT TO SAY THAT TO PRETTY YOUNG WOMEN WHO HAVE A TINGE OF "peach fuzz" hair on their upper lip --- I THINK THEY TAKE OFFENSE TO THAT NICE GESTURE!! --- gee whiz, who wouldv'e ever guessed that????? ROFL ROFL ROFL